Unboxing of XP-E 60 Watt CREE LED Light

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by ktz216, Feb 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ktz216

ktz216 Flamingo Tongue

Hey all,
    The light I won from the 'Lucky 13' game was delivered to my house Thursday, but I wasn't home until today to unbox it. So here it is - the unboxing of the XP-E 60 watt CREE LED light from OC Reef!
    Big thanks to OC Reef for the awesome prize and 3reef for the great game!

[​IMG]

Contents of the package include: LED light fixture, dimmable control, cables, digital timer, and hanging kit. There are 20 LEDs in the fixture, each LED is 3 watt. The fixture is solidly built.
    [​IMG]

Digital timer and hanging kit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dimmable control box. Blue and white LEDs can be control independently. You can acclimate new corals easily by dimming the lights, without having to adjust the height of the fixture.
    [​IMG]

And here is the actual light fixture.
    [​IMG]

Size comparison - a sharpie.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A big fan on top to keep the fixture cool.
    [​IMG]

Side view. The red button controls the fan.
    [​IMG]

Close up shot of the LED's. Notice the LED on the left has a "diffuser" lens on it. I believe that's to spread the light out more to cover a larger area. There are also 4 rubber pads at each corner to allow you to rest the fixture on a glass canopy, if you don't want to hang the light.
    [​IMG]

I noticed that the "diffuser" lenses were not distributed evenly. There are "diffuser" lenses on 5 of the 10 LEDs on the left side and only 1 of 10 on the right side of the fixture. I'm not sure if that how it's suppose to be. Maybe someone from OC Reef can let me know.
    Left side.
    [​IMG]
    Right side.
    [​IMG]

More pics tomorrow when I hang up the light and test it out.

2. Click Here!

3. cbs3315

cbs3315 Ritteri Anemone

very cool congrats

4. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Thats a sweet win dude.

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Looks like a nice fixture. I'm surprised at how small it is. It seemed bigger than that. The dimmer control is a nice added feature.

I am also confused by the placement of the lenses...

6. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Hmm that is wierd I cant imagine why they wouldn't have it evened out :p all in all that looks like a great fixture, im jealous :p..... more pictures plz!!!!

7. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

Exited to see it over your tank.

I'm puzzled by that lens placement as well, Maybe you should call or email OCReef? :confused:

I definitely would.

8. Click Here!

9. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

Mabe the diffuserplacement is intentional to give it an un even lighting like you would have darker spots and lighter spots in the ocean?idk lol

10. ktz216

ktz216 Flamingo Tongue

Great suggestion Mike, will do. More pics later today.

11. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

Congrats! I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.

12. ocreef.com

ocreef.com 3reef Sponsor

Congrats ktz216 on winning our OCReef CREE LED Aquarium Light!

The pictures are awesome.

The polycarbonate diffuser lens are a new addition to our light, specifically designed to enhance the lighting with a shimmer effect. We strategically placed them off to one side, in an effort to mimic the underwater effect of sunlight, blading in from one side. The lens can very easily be re-positioned by taking off the silver casing. These diffuser lens along with the powder coated silver colored casing are new additions to the light that we wanted to share with the 3Reef winner. We hope you enjoy the light!

Some future plans for the light, include the following: a ball bearing mounting rack to allow the light to be easily slid along the track for repositioning, digital-programmable dimming controls versus manual, and an optional 120 degree wide lens, versus our standard 90 degree lens. However the new additions will increase the retail cost of the light. Our original intentions were to provide a well built LED Aquarium Light for the AquaCulture side of the hobby, that everyone could afford, without all the added bells and whistles.

Feedback and/or ideas of improvement are always welcome.

Regards,
    Team OCReef.com
    1-877-339-4440