Um...I think something at my coral

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Save_the_Reef, Mar 11, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Save_the_Reef

Save_the_Reef Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Well hey again. I had what I believe to be button polyps...4-5 of them to be exact. They were starting to grow, and nearly doubled in size since I got the rock with them. They were there this morning. They were there at 3 pm. Now they are not on the rock. The only thing I can think of that would have eaten them are emerald crab, peppermint shrimp, hermit crabs, or the little dime sized crab I got on my rock(think he eats live stuff). I was just wonderin what you guys think, because I don't want to buy corals if they will get munchied every time.

2. Click Here!

3. chris-miranda

chris-miranda Astrea Snail

i would bet it was the peppermint shrimp i have seen them eat polyps in my tank and also my brothers

4. Save_the_Reef

That little...well if it was, I can live with it. They were free, but I hate to lose something that could have been a nice addition to the tank. I guess nature takes it's toll in an enclosed environment.

5. Rob

Rob Astrea Snail

don't worry peperment shrimp have a reputation of vanishing. other fish eat them and they don't live a long time...
    rob

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=Save_the_Reef link=board=Coral;num=1110593069;start=0#0 date=03/11/05 at 21:04:29]or the little dime sized crab [/quote]
    I'd suspect a crab over a shrimp any day. Any chance you could post a picture of this mystery crab?

7. Save_the_Reef

[quote author=amcarrig link=board=Coral;num=1110593069;start=0#4 date=03/21/05 at 15:02:34]
    I'd suspect a crab over a shrimp any day.  Any chance you could post a picture of this mystery crab?[/quote]

Well, that is in the negative. My crabby is to small, and hides in the little holes in the rock. Haven't seen him in at least a month. But I still have some of the coral left from what I thought was all gone. Apparrantly, some polyps were growing in a crack, while the ones in the open were eaten. Bought some bigger polyps the other day, and I got some of the same kind that were eaten, but those have yet to be touched.