Ultraviolet Sterilizer Do you use one

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Jason McKenzie, Apr 13, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

[shadow=blue, 2, 300]Ultraviolet Sterilizer Do you use one[/shadow]

There seems to be mixed reviews on whether or not they are benifitial or not.   I have one and run it from 10:00PM until 7:00AM daily.  I increased the time to 24/7 during an ick outbreak but really didn't see any benifit.

[shadow=Green, 2, 300]Do you feel they are a nessesary tool or not?[/shadow]

2. Click Here!

3. Mauireefer

Mauireefer Astrea Snail

IVe had one on my 150 and since I added it, every piece of coral(dead) was as white as I bought them, it definatley helped out with algae, the ick I never had a battle with. Now in my 180 FO, I have one, but never hooked it up, its still sitting in a box...just havent had the need seeing that all i have right now is a huge eel and a bunch of damsels...

Jared

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The other day, someone here mentioned using one on a quarantine tank. I thought that was a pretty good idea.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Oh yeah, CMK has one for sale on the auction board! 4 hours left! C'mon people! ;D

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i never used one but if i did i think i would keep it to a quarenteen tank only. because from what i read they can kill as much bad as good :)

7. mango

mango Plankton

i have a 3ft UV sterilizer, i had it for my Discus display tank but its now in my 4ft Fish Only with Live Rocks (FOWLR), its really good and my fish hasnt got whitespots yet :) So far the livestock is; An Emporer Angel, Dot Dash bfly, Pakastan Bfly and a Red Tail Bfly. I do believe the UV sterilizer has helped to declease the algae and diseases in the tank to a minimum.

Cheers
    Steve :D

8. Click Here!

9. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

Didn't we just have this discussion not too long ago? My thoughts were to run the UV at certain times during the day, for a few hours, then leave it dormant. I wouldn't run it more than a two or three times in a week, tops. It just kills too much of the "good stuff" in your tank.

That's my $0.02

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I agree with Wrassman, same thing applies to skimmers, some things are indiscrimenant and kill everything, good and bad. Sometimes its a good thing to turn the skimmer off for a while so the same for the UV sterilizer.

:) ;) :D ;D 8)

11. mikeyreef

mikeyreef Plankton

I believe in UV and make it essential in all my setups.
    It helps prevent the spread of many pathogens and as far as killing beneficial pathogens the effect is minimal.
    As for running it a few hours a day i feel this is dangerous as you may develop more resistant strains of diseases and partial use can result in photoreactivation of some organisms. I have no problem with what i call the gettysburg effect in my aquariums. I never need to use medication and most outbreaks are limited to one at most two animals.
    Uv can be essential in preventing the spread of RTN. brown jelly and ick as these use the water column to spread.
    mikeyreef

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's the kinda detail I was hoping you would bring Mikey! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

[flash=468,60]http://www.3reef.com/fish/sitepics/threesteps3.swf[/flash]