Ultimate Newbie Guide

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by anpgp, Apr 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tecnomage

Tecnomage Astrea Snail

I don't know 100% for sure, that's why I'm asking ;). I know it raises the elements that the corals use to grow and that's about it. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Heh, well I wont hijack this thread with an answer to ya- but I will write such to you via PM if need be.

4. DarkEarth

DarkEarth Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Wow thanks for this!

5. bebanovich

bebanovich Plankton

C'mon people! Peeing in the tank to start the cycle, Dosing with vodka? Has the stress of reef keeping turned all hobbyists into drunkards? Is this just a gateway? Can the use of Oxycontin to treat Aiptasia be far behind.

Just kidding. Great nutshell document!

6. JeremyW

JeremyW Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Great idea, thanks for putting this together

7. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

No problem. I'm glad this could be of some help to you guys.

8. Click Here!

9. bootgmv

bootgmv Plankton

very good advice and I thank you, the only part I dont really agree with is peeing or putting a piece of shrimp in your tank, just get live rock and or sand wait about a week and a half or so for your tank to cycle then add a couple starter fish but dont throw in too many because your tank will cycle again and it would not be nice for them, atleast that is my opinion

10. Lokko21

Lokko21 Astrea Snail

Exactly what I was looking for.. Thanks.

11. Meanie

Meanie Spaghetti Worm

Awesome write up, thanks a bunch. I just setup a 29G yesterday with a 10G sump. I have 32lbs of rock (13lbs of live rock and 19lbs or dry rock),a heater and 2 pumps running moving the RO/DI water. I have 2 powerheads on the way. I have a spreadsheet tracking my levels and currently my pH is about 8.4 and my Ammonia is at 0.5. I'm trying to let it cycle on its own without adding anything.

Thanks again for the awesome write up, I was about to ask whether or not to do water changes during the cycling process, but read your write up and got my answer.

12. Frenzal

Frenzal Plankton

Great advice, I have two tanks that have been sitting in the garage for years. After being given a smaller established saltwater tank by my mum, I now have an itch to setup the tanks in the garage starting with the smaller of the two first. I'm a totally newbie to this, so I really want to learn all I can before I even pull it out of the garage and your write up gave me a great starting point to broaden my knowledge. Thanks :)