UH-OH!!! i found some water around my tank

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by hottielover14, Nov 1, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hmmm, I never thought of tasting the water. What would catch evap....a light canopy or fixture....anything that sits on top of the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

BL,

I guess if the water evaporates from our tanks then it could just as easily condense back into a liquid again. Not something that I have experienced, but it is possible.

What did happen to me once with my small FW tank was a mysterious puddle seemingly coming from under the tank. As it is only a small tank it sits on my kitchen bench on a thin piece of styrene foam. At some stage I must have spilled some water on the bench and the water seeped in under the tank. For days afterward the water seeped back out and left a small puddle at the bottom of the tank. I was convinced that I had a leak, but it soon stopped pooling and hasn't started again so I assume that it was just a spill. :)

John

4. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i havent tasted the water. The puddle stopped forming since i have shut 2 of my pumps off. I don't think it's a leak because its stopped right now. i actually saw some water go into the power strip and the thing flashed and the power went out.

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

HL 14,

Jut be a bit careful of the powerstrip now, if there was an arc there is a possibility that some carbon has been formed inside or outside the strip. As you know carbon is very conductive.

John

6. hottielover14

so what should i do with the powerstrip. can i still use it. do i wipe the carbon off, does it come off. Could those 2 powerheads of caused the water puddles. its stopped since i shut them off.

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

HL14,

Considering the cost of powerstrips I would throw it away and get a new one :) It's just not worth the risk of electrocution or fire.

John

8. Click Here!

9. hottielover14

its the natural wavemaker.

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

The powerstrip is part of the wavemaker? Is that what you mean? If so I suggest that you contact the manufacturer and get their advice.

John

11. hottielover14

yes the powerstrip is part of the wavemaker.

12. hottielover14

can i just wipe the carbon off.