UH-OH!!! i found some water around my tank

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by hottielover14, Nov 1, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i found some water puddles around my tank on the stand. they are dripping. I didn't notice this until i took my PC light of and now it's just the open tank. Could this be evaporation or a leak. I hope it's not a leak. i finally get my tank all perfect and ready to stock. I have waited 11 months for this moment. if it's a small leak can i fix it without getting a new tank. if it's small, what would happen if i just left it.

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I would dry it real good and remove anything that could be catching evaporation and recondensing it...wait an hour or two and see if it is gets wet again. If I had a leaky tank....I would definitely fix it! :eek:
    If it is high up, you could just remove some of the water, reseal,wait and refill.

4. hottielover14

last night the power went out in my room where my tank is the circut blew and i had to switch the circut breaker. I think it might of been from the water running into one of my power strips. since then i have had everything on except for my MH light and my wavemaker and powerheads and there is no sign of water. I don't get it. could my powerheads be doing it. could it only be happening at night. what would catch evap and be recondensating it.

5. hottielover14

can somebody please answer me so i have some explaination it's been worring the hell out of me.

6. klownh8er

klownh8er Plankton

I remember on my first fish tank that there was water all around my tank.  I found out that my airstone was doing it from all the bubbles popping at the surface.do you have you have a lot of bubbles from somewhere like a faulty skimmer? That's my guess  :-/

7. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Hottielover14 did you acutely find water in your power strip or do you just think that is what happened?
       You may be overloading your circuit some times a circuit breaker will get to the point of almost tripping and it just takes a small power draw to finally trip it.  ......... John

8. Click Here!

9. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I would look for something splashing water over the side? I assume you havn't found a source of the leak. If your tank is leaking from a seam you may have some work ahead of you. Is this a new or used tank?

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

HL14,

I'm sure that if you had a leaking tank, particularly near the top you would have quite a bit of salt residue if it had been leaking for a while.  Did you taste the water?  Saltwater would indicate a leak or a splash, freshwater would indicate evaporation :)

John

11. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Nothing gets past this guy I tell ya ::)

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Only the obvious :)

John