UH-OH blue acro bleached

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by hottielover14, Jan 10, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

[quote author=mushroom_man link=board=ASAP;num=1105395334;start=45#56 date=03/06/05 at 21:51:48]i agree with you that people shouldn't keep them unless you get a good specimen. "?[/quote]

How do you:

1. know it's a good specimen?
    2. do with it if it turns out to be a bad specimen?
    3. What is anyone doing buying a bad specimen?
    4. WHAT?

Uh, doesn't that go with out saying? If it's bad, no one will keep it anyways right? I have yet to hear some one say "oh, I want the one with the brown jelly" or "I want the one that the tissue is receeding/seperating off the skeleton". ;D ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

FWIW, I don't just use Lugols, I do a 6 hour dip with interceptor for red bugs with all incoming acros (at home only).  I sure wouldn't want to loose any LE corals that have a current wait list of like 10 years :D

I moved this thread to the coral forum where it belongs. As Soon AS Possiable isn't a place for 5 pages of the same advice over and over and over and over........... The more you continue to not take anyones advice HTL, the more people will avoid your posts all together.

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Well Said Gresham. Now let's see some pics of your Frag tank (off topic but this thread has had about 10 topics already) :)

Jason

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Nah, I don't want to desroy any image you might have of it :D

Well, actually, like I said, it ain't feeling to happy right now. I lost about 10,000 zoa polyps in the acccident (of stupidity). When the dust settles and I'm on thbe upswing, I'd love to parade my collection. Right now, everything is in growth phase, as I use a 6500k bulb on that system. Oranges, pinks, and the likes are really turning insane colors. Green does good as well. The blues and purples don't look super in 6500k, but they still retain their color (I've moved some under my 20k to see if they still had it, sure enough, looking good).

6. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

but the acro's and elegant coral died when i used the 10 drops of lugols for the dip. My brain might of died because of my dip but it had the same reaction as my others that died. It's tissue just receaded until it's skel. was showing. It had some jelly on it too. I don't get it. My tank's perfect except for sometimes the temp flucuates too much. could that off killed them.

7. hottielover14

what would be the best way to acclimate them to lighting. can all this happen because of not properly acclimating them to my lights.

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=Coral;num=1110450461;start=60#64 date=03/10/05 at 14:16:30]but the acro's and elegant coral died when i used the 10 drops of lugols for the dip. My brain might of died because of my dip but it had the same reaction as my others that died. It's tissue just receaded until it's skel. was showing. It had some jelly on it too. I don't get it. My tank's perfect except for sometimes the temp flucuates too much. could that off killed them.[/quote]

Go back and read what Gresham (et al) wrote, the answer is right there.

John

10. hottielover14

11. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    [quote author=Gresham link=board=Coral;num=1110450461;start=60#60 date=03/10/05 at 05:13:14]

How do you:

1. know it's a good specimen?
    2. do with it if it turns out to be a bad specimen?
    3. What is anyone doing buying a bad specimen?
    4. WHAT?

Uh, doesn't that go with out saying?  If it's bad, no one will keep it anyways right?  I have yet to hear some one say "oh, I want the one with the brown jelly" or "I want the one that the tissue is receeding/seperating off the skeleton".  ;D ;D
    [/quote]
    of course no one is asking for a bad one. the thing that i meant is that you have to look, in that perticular coral is for the tell tale signs of sickness as mentioned in the link. when i go to the whole salers i dont look for the elegance corals with the retained tentacles. the brown jelly desease is some thing different thing all together... people are buying the bad ones because they do not read up on the corals, fish etc... :-[

12. hottielover14

when i bought it, it was perfectly healthy.