UH-OH blue acro bleached

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by hottielover14, Jan 10, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

HL14 it really doesn't sound as though you are "acclimating" your live stock. Floating the bag is important to ensure there is no temperature shock. But what about PH shock. you should always drip tank water into the bag to ensure SG and PH are slowly matched.

I'm not sure why or how you are doing a Iodine dip but I would suggest stopping.
    As for the loss of your coral. It appears you have purchased some rather challenging corals to begin with. elegance, birds nest and flame scallops are incredibly challenging corals. Perhaps starting out with corals that are less demanding would give you greater success.

Jason

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Yah HL14 what is the Iodine dip for??? :-/
    I agree with Jason about going with the less demanding corals you seem to be choosing some of the hardest corals to keep. .................. John

4. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

brain and elegant corals aren't that hard, i read that there pretty easy. The iodine dip is to kill bacteria on the coral before i put it in my new tank. How do u acclimate the lighting. My brain has died. I had my birdsnest alive for 3 months and then when i put my other acros's in they died because of a bacteria they brought in.

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

You must know best then........

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

HL14

How may PPM Iodine in the dip and how long did you dip for?

Whats the Iodine level in you tank and do you dose regularly?

John

7. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

1st read this on the Elegance Coral http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-02/eb/feature/

2nd I have never herd of dipping a coral in Iodine ( but it works for you) right?

3rd you don't acclimate the lighting you acclimate the coral to the lighting.

4th here is an article on Acclimating Your Corals Properly
    http://www.roesmarineworld.com/newacclimating.htm

5th HL14 you don't seem to want advice I think you want someone to agree with you that you are doing everything correctly

So if you don't want to take the advice from the wonderful resource or information of all of these very experienced people then I have to agree again with Jason You Must Know best then as your experience is teaching you. Sorry for being so blunt but well you seem to be asking for it. I don't like to be like that but I value the advice I receive and heed it..... John

8. Click Here!

9. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    AND HOW!!! fletch your the man thank you for showing that website about elegance coral. in my lfs we dont keep them. until a month ago that is. i agree with you that people shouldn't keep them unless you get a good specimen. we fortunatly do have a good one. as for this dipping in iodine... i for one have never heard of this and as for the results, i see its a great process. so hl14 how many corals do you now have in your take that are not sick from iodine "poisining"?

10. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i don't not want your guys help. I just want to know what's happening to all my stuff. I put 20 drops of lugols solution to a gallon of water.

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Well HL14 what probably happened is what happens to all of us at some time in this hobby. You have gone ahead full steam and reacted, instead of just sitting back and thinking about what you were doing and the reasons for doing it.

Instead of me telling you my opinion, how about you tell me what you think and then we can discuss it.

John :)

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=ASAP;num=1105395334;start=45#52 date=03/04/05 at 16:48:50] I had my birdsnest alive for 3 months and then when i put my other acros's in they died because of a bacteria they brought in.[/quote]

WHAT?  Huh?  Died because of the bacteria they brought in, nope sorry.  Swing in the dark again :D

Lugols dips are VERY common people, and have been for like 10 years.  The major SPS keepers, major zoanthid keepers and the likes practice lugol dips prior to all additions.  ITS NOT TO KILL THE BACTERIA PER SAY, it's to kill:

1. flatworms (planaria)
    2. zoanthid eating nudibranchs
    3. acro red bugs
    4. sea spiders
    5. montipora eating nudibranchs
    6. what ever else wants to hitchhike in

You used enough to kill the bacteria, unfortunatly, it was the zoanthella :D

20 drops is off the scale dude.  I know the bottle says 40, but none of us really practice that.  I use 5 drops to 3 gallons of PH temp adjusted FRESHWATER for about 5 minutes (up to 1/2 hour with certain things),  nothing goes into my tank otherwise.  5 grand in rare SPS/LPS won't be attacked again by red bugs, my zoa's won't get anymore friggin nudi's and I'll be fortunate enough not to ever experience the monti eatin zoas with my dipping protocals.

All the 100+ zoa colonies I recieve weekly all get dipped, same with all our acro's and monti's.  You can have the plagues, me, I'll dip and save my farm from that fate.  My customers appreciate it, and I'm sure there customers feel the same way.