UH-OH blue acro bleached

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by hottielover14, Jan 10, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Following along here....The acros both died. His birdnest is partially infected and the elegence coral is also infected.......at least that is what I get from these posts. I think I have it straight Jason.

Jay

2. Click Here!

3. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

yes, perfect. u got it jay. What if the elegent coral is already too much infected. I 'm going to buy some lugols solution tonight. I tried everything but instead of lugols i used my kent marine tech-1 iodine. I put 3 capfuls in there. I hope it stalls it out at least. Tonight, i will try the lugols.

4. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

I often have people come in the store with dying corals claiming they are sufferiung from brown jelly diease.....when the "brown jelly" is simply the rotting tissues of the coral due to unkowns.I would take an affected piece out and smell it. The results of this test are obvious unless you have no sense of smell.....brown jelly smells a bit (also is unpredictable)....or if the branch or portion your smelling makes your stomach turn it is dead, decaying and unsalvagable. BUT....the death of many corals results in the decay of tissues witch turns to a brown stringy goo so..... whatever the state I would treat afected portions of the corals as malignant tumors and perform surgery as suggested by others here. I've run across many inkown ailments in many corals at my job and fragging out the "diseased" portions works most of the time. If the diseased portion ids in the center of a lrage coral and cannot really be fragged of i have used gel super glue and "sealed" the aflliction in place.

5. hottielover14

my elegant coral is now dead i took it out and smelled it and it was rotting. I dont know how it died but i think it might be because of the acros that died to RTN, that i know of. It's not appricated!!! My water was perfect and i have a lot of lighting so it has to be because of the acros.

6. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Im sorry to hear that. I hope you isolate the problem.....and also that someone here may be able to shed light on this.

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

HL14,

There is no correlation between RTN and brown jelly infection. BJI is the result of protazoan/cilates activity normally after an injury to the coral and can be treated.

RTN is a reaction by the coral to an event, there is no cure for RTN.

Did you read Amcarrigs comments and follow the methods she gave you?

John

8. Click Here!

9. hottielover14

but there wasn't really an injury to the coral. Could of the flame angel picked on it to where it caused injury. He was picking on it since i got it but never did any damage. I don't think that the elegant coral died due to RTN, that was my acro's. My elegant coral died i think because of BJI. I followed amcarrigs methods and it didn't work. It might of been to late.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=ASAP;num=1105395334;start=15#26 date=01/26/05 at 16:40:08]Could of the flame angel picked on it to where it caused injury. He was picking on it since i got it but never did any damage.[/quote]
    Definitely. Just because there wasn't any visible damage doesn't mean that it wasn't damaged.

11. hottielover14

how do u mean just because there wasn't any visible damagae doesn't mean that there wasn't damage.

12. hottielover14

Will my angel fish keep harrasing all my coral that i get in the future or just certain ones. How can i stop this behavior. He's a flame angel and he's about 3-4" long.