UH-OH blue acro bleached

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by hottielover14, Jan 10, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

2. Click Here!

3. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

so i read them and they said that RTN is caused by bacteria. Stress can be the thing that finally kills it. I just was wondering if I have the bacteria that caused RTN will it kill other corals in my tank. It hasn't affected them yet. What if i buy more acro's will they die too.

4. hottielover14

HELLO! I need some help. I want to try and save my elegent coral. My purple and blue acros are dead becaue of RTN. My elegent coral has some of that brown jelly on it. I think it has RTN also. So far my xenia hasn't gotten it. It's really sad because i paid all that money and now it's wasted. My pink birdsnest frag is also partly white now. Can i save my elegant coral. I have been trying to let it set in my kent marine iodine for about 30 mins. but i think it's not doing anything. I paid $75 for it and it was so beautiful and green and i don't want it to die. Does the lugols work to cure the RTN.

5. hottielover14

How long is the RTN in my tank for. This mess all started when i got my 2 acros from liveaquaria.com. I think they must of had it. They have died, so i've said. How can i get the RTN out of my tank.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Sounds more like brown jelly disease than RTN. What I would do if the coral was mine (and this is only my recommendation for LPS corals that have brown jelly disease):

(1) Move the coral to a seperate vessel for treatment and gently rinse the brown jelly off with tank water. (2) 30-60 second fresh water dip. This might stress the coral so keep an eye on it (3) 30 minute Lugols dip (10 drops of Lugols per gallon of tank water) (4) Place it back in the tank where there is good flow across the coral.

RTN is not something you can "remove" from a tank. You have to remove the cause of the event and since rtn can be caused by several variables, you'd have to figure out which one made it happen (overheating, too much light, dirty water, etc.).

7. hottielover14

could i also use just normal iodine instead of lugols dip. If i remove the cause of rtn will it remove it from my aquarium. Can rtn or brown jelly disease spread. Isn't brown jelly disease the same thing as rtn.

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I was under the impression that RTN was kinda like Ick or at lease the treatment and causes are similar.
    I have had RTN once before on a wild colony SPS, while all other corals were unaffected I could not save my beautiful tri colour. Many suggested to frag out the RTN and regrow the rest as frags. I was too late.

But if it's brown jelly disease I would give Amcarrig suggestion a try

J

10. hottielover14

what if it's too late. If some of it's dead will the whole elegant coral die. Can i save part of it. If i use the loguls will it kill the disease.

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

You ask questions that cannot really be answered.  These are recommended treatments...not guaranteed cures.  All you can do is try.  Amcarrig's recommendation is exactly textbook.

I had a problem with a frogspawn and performed the Lugol's treatment and it worked well.  I had two affected pieces, one more severely, but I was able to save the lesser affected portion.  Give it a whirl.

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

OK I'm confused What type of coral is it? Elegance or Blue Acro?

J