Ugly Tank Contest!

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by johnmaloney, Nov 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

Got an ugly tank that is marred by nuisance algae? We want to see it! Post your pictures here, and we will choose the ugliest tank to us. The "winner" will receive a custom crew from us, (or a refund on a recently purchased custom crew), and be given step by step instructions on how to get their tank clean. Everybody who participates will be given a 25% discount.

Show us how bad it can get! :)

Note: By submitting a photo, or a link to a photo, you confirm that you are both the owner of the photo and the tank. By posting the photo, or linking to it you give us the right to use the photo on the site. You have the choice whether to remain anonymous or be credited for the photo. If you wish to be credited for the photo, please place your name on the actual photo itself.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

HA This is Great!!! Awesome way to promote your product and help some customers

4. johnmaloney

peredhill from here gave us the idea with his "Documenting Clean Up Crew" thread. It should be fun, may the worst tank win!

5. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

ok i think most clean up crews will eat this fernlike algae.i can't pull it all off cause its so fine that some always stays and grows back.
    [​IMG]
    then i have this red seaweed stuff that nothing eats.it grows like grass.
    [​IMG]
    then there is this small bubble algae that i can't get to all of it.it grows in small places and behind rocks and in holes.
    [​IMG]
    i'm open to suggestions.

6. johnmaloney

You got:

1. Fuzzy Caulerpa
    2. Some nasty red turf algae nothing eats and has been plaguing the hobby. Where does this stuff come from?
    3. And some bubble algae

My recommendations: Manual tear up that red turf algae as much as you can. If you lose that nice zoa frag, so be it, better than losing all those other nice frags. Emerald crabs will get the bubbles and caulerpa. Juvenile emeralds are best. Sea hares will get rid of the caulerpa quicker, but you should care for a sea hare like a pet, not like a cleaner. (target feeding, etc...)

Honestly, I appreciate the submitted photos, but with just a little fixing your tank would look pretty sweet. We want UGLY.

(I think the coral in the first picture actually looks better surrounded by the fuzzy caulerpa - Caulerpa verticillata, but then again I am into macros more than coral)

7. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I have a broken camera and wish to enter. I have the whole tank covered in brown fuzz and have recently purchased a clean up crew! from..............

8. Click Here!

9. totter0817

totter0817 Purple Spiny Lobster

i have problems similar to the first pic post, I think it's pretty ugly and a little worse than that, I will have to get on some pics

10. johnmaloney

11. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

here is a pic

Attached Files:

12. johnmaloney

picture is kind of small, I do see some rust looking stuff on the rocks, but can't id with such a small picture.

Brown fuzz? Hope it isn't a dinoflagellate breakout, cleaners don't eat that stuff. You would be stuck with fighting it through phosphate competition and starvation.

Come on guys, the people over at nano-reef.com have some ugly shots posted already!