Ugh...cutting tops off sealed drums?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Jacwil, Dec 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jacwil

Jacwil Coral Banded Shrimp

So I just picked up two used, food grade, 55g blue drums, for water storage and mixing. Great...except they are sealed! I didnt notice this when I loaded them up...I simply saw the 2 threaded caps on the top of them and assumed the drums had lids as well. So my question is, can I simply leave the rim for added strength and rigidity, and cut the top off and somehow use the cut outs for lids?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

I have cut the tops off before your best bet is to cut the top out leaving the rim intact to help the drum keep it's shape when it's full of water.A sawzall works the best.

4. Jacwil

Ok cool...they didnt get too stressed when you cut them off? No worries about sides blowin' out? I have the sawzall and jigsaw out and rdy lol

Also...did you reuse the cutout for a lid?

5. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

They are pretty tough you don't have to worry about the sides blowing out, I didn't reuse the tops i think they ended up becoming giant frisbees for the kids lol, but im sure you could if you made some sort of lip for them to rest on.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jacwil

Cool...thats what I was thinking (lip). Ok headin out to cut, cut, cut! Thx for the help!

+1

7. Jacwil

Both cut...I left an extra 2 inches around so I can glue a few tabs under the lip so cutouts will work as lids.

8. Click Here!

9. slowleak

slowleak Feather Duster

I know I'm a little late on this one, but they make a fitting that threads into where the cap goes so you can run a pipe or some tubing down into the drum. Not saying to not cut the top off, but it seems kinda pointless. Out of curiousity, why do you need the open top?

10. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

LOL frisbees for the kids.

Sounds like a trip to the emergency room to me. ;)

I have the same issue, I've got 2 mtn dew NFS grade drums from a fellow reefer, and I found that a hydor 200gph or so powerhead fits in the bung hole (LOL).

I have not cut the tops off because this works for me for a new SW mixing container.

Plus the fish like the slight mtn dew smell to the new water. They make a few caffeine laps around the tank after a water change;)

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I have a couple of those. I just cut 1/2 the lid off. I figured I'd leave as much as I could not for structure but to help keep the chance of something falling in it to a minimum

I think I used a Dremel or a jigsaw

J