Ugghhhhhhh

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by cuttingras, Jun 8, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Hello Everyone. I'm back. Ugh! I never want to leave my tank again! All my new snails are dead and I'm not sure if my fish are gonna make it! I got home late last night and woke this morning to feed "the guppies" and found ALL the (old and new)snails, crabs, anemone are dead and my all of my fish were on the bottom, hiding. I asked my son what he did to them since they were all doing great and he said he over flowed the tank once. He forgot to shut the RO/DI off and it over flowed, apparently for a long time. I checked the salinity and it was at 0. I made up a quick batch of saltwater. Anyone ever have this happen to them and think the fish will recover? Wow this sucks! My fish are all panting bad!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

The fish might make it but inverts probably won't. They don't handle hyposalinity too well...

Do you have a QT you can set up to get some salt water in? Whatever you do don't raise the salinity back up too quickly or you can further stress them more than they already are.

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Ouch, sorry to hear about your troubles. That is the only thing that bothers me right now is leaving for vacation in August. My wife has no clue on what to do with the tank if something goes wrong. I will try and train her the best I can before we head out on our scooters but at least I won't have to worry about the water since I have a auto top off. Karma for your trouble.

5. cuttingras

I have added enough saltwater to get it up to 1.019 I have t go to my lfs to get more. I thought I trained my son well enough..........(that proved to be a mistake). I just want to cry! Everything was going so good.... :-(
    I also wanted to know. I'm am buying a new skimmer today. What brand would you all recommend? And I'm getting an auto top off.

Thanks for the Karma dude......but I need a hug........

6. cuttingras

Also, do you think turning the lights out will aid in their recouperation?

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Hey Scott. Are any of your club members willing to be "on call" in case your wife needs help?

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about your troubles :( I doubt that lighting will play any role in the recuperation though. Have you pulled all the dead stuff out?

10. cuttingras

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Must be stinky :( FYI, you might have a mini cycle as a result of that die off.

12. cuttingras

yep I thought aobut that what do I need to do for my fish? anything or just let nature take it's course? About the Protein Skimmers also?? What do you all recommend? I see a lot on AquaC , they make the Remora hang on. Are they any good?