Ugggg what now?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by TinFury, Nov 14, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Wow I never thought of voltage being in the water. Learn something new everday. Is there a certain brand that I sould look for?? I want to pick up one of these ASAP. Getting to be a lot of money invested to not have some security for my investment.

2. Click Here!

3. seabass

seabass Astrea Snail

TinFurry

here's a link that has the aquarium sealant AquaCave - Detail
    hope this helps

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Nope. As long as it's titanium, it should be a good quality probe. If you're a DIY-er, you can look into picking up a titanium bicycle spoke and making a probe with that. Don't ask me how though, I just know that some people do it :)

1 person likes this.
  5. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

TinFury,
    If contamination from your sealant, or some other poisonous substance is in your tank, don't do lots of small water changes. Do two or three LARGE water changes -- 20%-30% or more. Even better, drain the tank by 30% or so, then do sequential smaller water changes while the tank is holding less water. THEN, add new water to bring the tank back to 100% capacitity. You'll remove more of the contaminants that way.

6. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

A couple of things come to mind. Ditch the brass fittings, Trites are suspect, what is the temp of the tank and I see acclimate for 8 hours please explain this procedure. What is the bioload in the tank right now? Current is interesting theory but not thinking thats it. ( I suggest probe anyway for many reasons) Where are you getting your inverts from?

7. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

Ok got rid of the brass. I did a couple large water changes. Things are still dying. I have the grounding plug in there anyway. The inverts come in from the sea. I catch them myself....

When I acclimate I'm using the drip method. I put the animals in a bucket with water I have them in and drip water from the main tank into the bucket which doubles the amount of water every two hours.

The bio load on the tank now is about...... 6 inches of fish... thats it.

I'm going to try some more large water changes. I hope I don't mess up the biological filter.

Could the toxins now be in the rock?

8. Click Here!

9. tropicaladdiction

tropicaladdiction Plankton

AAhhhaaa

Yea i've been in automotive for 10+ years lots of nasty chems in auto sealants, very toxic .. esp. not clear ones. I'd ground tank to green wire (never mix white and green wires very dangerous). Remove sealed surfaces and replace with aquarium grade sealer or purpose PVC sealer and let sure a long time. Then flush the tank a few times and use Seachem Purigen which absorbs metals about everything else nastly. GL

1 person likes this.
  10. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

very good post tropicaladdiction!!!!
    Welcome to 3reef!

11. rking

rking Astrea Snail

Grounding Probe

I could be looking in the wrong places but.... where do you find a grounding probe online. I'd like to take a look at one and decide if I want to DIY it or just buy and install etc, but I can't find one after a few short searches. I'm not having any problems with death but I'd rather take care of this before it becomes a problem.

Thanks,

Ray

12. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007