Ugggg what now?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by TinFury, Nov 14, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Deano

Deano Astrea Snail

A bit too Geeked out

Everyone always wants to know about nitrates, amonia, phosphates, blah, blah, blah. Why not the electrical current in your tank.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That's always my first question when people ask why only their inverts are dying when their water parameters are seemingly "perfect".

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I would NEVER run a saltwater aquarium without a ground probe :)

1 person likes this.
  4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

RTV Sealent is intended for use on automobiles ONLY. Its petroleum based. Since you are in a place where local fish stores are rare Tin. Look online for Aquarium Sealant/silicone. Its made differently. The kind I have is made by All Glass aquariums. If you use RTV sealent then your asking to kill everything in your tank. However RTV makes one hell of a valve cover gasket ;oP

5. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

Geekdafied: Oh crap. I've sealed my fuge with it already. What should I do? Scrap that tank all together? What about activated carbon can that pull some of the crap out if that is the problem?

I'll definately put in that grounding probe. In both tanks.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Look at a home improvement type place a hardware store ? a tube of 100% clear silicone cost like 2.99 opposed to 15.00 for the same crap from a fish place. Its all the same If it says 100% silicone then its safe to use.
    Also with some RTV there are many types one is just silicone I think its the black stuff the orange and blue i think are made for oil seals like on intake manifolds and higher heat areas like oil pans and timming chain covers. But I'm not sure about this if its a 100% silicone then its fine .

The voltage is what is killing your snails..I had a friend in N.J to have this very problem he add them they died that day he had a probe well after several batches of dead snails he checked his new probe it was bad out of the box no continuity through the wiring to ground replaced it with a another new one and no more problems. He 'was' an anti probe guy also..

7. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

The black kind of RTV is for differential covers etc. Its for things you don't plan on ever changing again cause it'll never come off, lol.

8. Click Here!

9. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

Damn I need to get that probe in there like right now. It really sounds like the ticket.

10. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Amcarrig,
    In large part due to your comments on this and other threads, I bought a ground probe and installed it over the Thanksgiving weekend.
    Thanks for spurring me to get that done!

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

My pleasure!! I'm glad that you've finally gotten....errrrr....probed :lol:

12. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

I installed the ground probe and still nothing. Specific things are still dying. Starfish, most snails and zoanthids die really fast. But I have a peppermint shrimp and he's ok.

The only thing I can think of now is the silicone. If the silicone has something in it what do you guys recomend? Am I going to have to take it out? That would be a real pain in the azz. I'm doing small water changes very often to try and fix the problem right now. If anyone can recommend something with this silicone thing please say something I NEED HELP :( The fish are all fine. Even a four spot butterfly that is supposedly hard to keep.