UAS (Upflow Algae Scrubber)

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by scott26, May 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Okay here is the virgin design.

I tired the first time by just attaching it to the air stone but the thing wouldn't stay down so I tried to zip it to a piece up live rock with no luck and then I found some PVC laying around and got this going.

[​IMG]

Then I noticed that this air stone was working well but seemed to be looking some of the bubbles since the stone is about 3/4" wide and the screen is only so wide so some were just floating away.

So I tried the other type of air stone called a "wand" and it works okay but I was getting more bubble contact with the basic stone.

[​IMG]

Then I thought why not use both! I also noticed that if I left the zip ties uncut then they can be left up to support the screen.

[​IMG]

This is just with the basic stone on, I plan to get a Y connector to power both.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2012
    Billme likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

The idea is that instead of having to make a waterfall type scrubber which takes up extra space in the sump area since it needs height to fall. You can make a UAS that you can put in the overflow box of your tank or in an area of the sump that you may not have room for with the other type of scrubber.

The idea is that the bubbles have to rub against the side of the screen by doing that it is able to absorb the CO2 that algae needs to grow and by doing so gives the algae a prime place to grow on the screen and not in your tank.

Copied from another UAS user.

UAS Pros:

- Continuous 3D growth without waiting for the mat to expand

- No slot tube means no clogging, and no need to CLEAN the slot tube

-Less flow means cheaper pumps, maxijets should work for a remote box

- If running an enclosed remote box, much less chance of overflow due to detachment as flow rate is much lower

- Extends the time between need for cleaning (no drain to block, or see above)

- Single sided screen is simple on a sump or in tank, with screen submerged there's a better chance the roots won't die. (Extremely easy addition to almost any sump, esp. with using LEDs and single LED heat-sinks)

-Screen can live much longer if power goes out, as its submerged under water. (Tank will definitely be in worse shape than the screen by the time power comes back on if it's out long enough for the algae to die off.)

- Greater propensity for green growth, less chance for brown/yellow/black (pretty much none, that stuff will not grow under water)

- Can put the lights pretty much as close to the screen as you can feasibly get them without burning

- In most cases you will not have to turn off pumps to remove screen for cleaning/harvesting better for pumps.

-New design a lot easier to add to existing setups, and can easily be used as a secondary filter to polish out N's and P's and reduce water changes, eps. on larger setups

- Anyone can build this one...

UAS Cons:

- not pretty for the quick and dirty DIY version, (but the first bucket waterfall scrubber wasn't exactly a looker either)

- Air pumps suck (noisy, have issues)

- containing bubbles can be problematic

- bubbles popping at surface make for lots of salt creep or calcium deposits in FW

-Coraline algae may also be an issue, however the lights maybe too bright for coraline. (time will tell...)

4. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

This looks promising, anyone else tried this?

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I'd like to see this in a couple months. I like the concept - although not sure how much extra the airstone will increase Co2 around the macroalgae.

6. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I like this design if it works well I would be interested in setting one up like this

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

looking forward to seeing how this develops Scott 26
    looks like a well thought out project to me

hope it performs well for you

8. Click Here!

9. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

I have already altered the design some and will post up pictures later.

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I'm not so sure I'm sold on this. Seems like there is not enough flow. Sounds reasonable... and as usual, some things are done because others are not practical.

If you enclosed it some... like a regular ATS, but a submerged one with air stones... then it would act like a under gravel filter. In the column with all the bubbles, the water outside weighs more and creates flow up the filter. Water flow.

Right now, there is air flow... but bubbles just going past the filter. It does not seem like there is enough water flow to supply nutrients and actually scrub your water... unless there is plenty of flow past it where it sits... but then that would seem to move the bubbles.

Anyway, not doggin' it. I always love tinkering. Looks like a cool project and interested to see your progress.

11. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

Curious if you're still using this or a modified version of it.

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

There are a TON of these out now.