Typhoon III HELP !!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by techno2, Jun 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

So I was excited to finally receive a replacement part, and it is the wrong one.
    THe valve in my existing unit is a 1000 and the one AWI sent is and 800.

Someone somewhere wants me to stick with the bucket method I guess....

Shrug

2. Click Here!

3. carpenter

carpenter Feather Duster

WOW! I'm really sorry that your having such a hard time with this project. I'm sure that it will all be worth it in the end though. I've been on vaction for a week so I've been out of the loop, but I just read through the thread before I posted. When will you have the correct replacement part?

4. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Thanks

Dont know yet. It is a painfull back and forth with email . I received the part on Friday, found out it was wrong and emailed back. I hope to heard Monday whats next ..

Meanwhile, back to Waly World for more RO/DI

Cheers

5. Dustin75

Dustin75 Fire Shrimp

I don't believe you can have the RO and the RO/DI valve open at the same time, the reason is you need pressure to push through the DI resin. I think it is one or the other. The hissing sound is your fast flush regulators holding some water back, to build pressure in your membrane housing to force water through the RO membrane. My unit is as typhoon III 100gpd, and because my water pressure, temp, and quality in Ohio is low, cold, and poor it only produces a 1.5gph.

Try running it with the supply open and RO open everything else closed. Then try with with supply open and RO/DI open and everything else closed. You should hear a hiss from the fast flush unit that is normal.

It sounds like you have tried this already, but when I read you were trying to run both RO and RO/DI that to me sounds like the problem. You will not get nearly the same output from the RO or RO/DI as you will from the waste line.

Hope this helps,

Dustin

1 person likes this.
  6. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

I had hoped to replace my existing 2gpd RO house unit with one that can do both. I think I bought the wrong unit, should have got the dual home reef unit.

If I ever get this working, I guess I will end up with two units.

Cheers

7. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

OK, so I finally received the replacement part, and it was the wrong one..
    AWI asked me to install and test anyway, and low and behold... It still doesnt do anything..

The output of the RO/DI would maybe drip its way to 1 GBP which would maybe cover my top off, but this cant be the output of a working unit.

Are there any of you using the TIII to ATO the tank and fill buckets for changes ? with the output this unit is supposed to have , I would guess at 3 or 4 hours to fill 15 gallons. Any of you doing this ? That would validate even more to me that this unit is just not working for me.

Cheers

8. Click Here!

9. dufresne

dufresne Feather Duster

I use it to ATO and have no issues.. mine is 75gpd so it fills around 3g per hour.. I dont think you can get 15g in 3 hours even with the 100gpd.. not sure about the 150gpd
    My only problem is the float valve, which once the sump is full turns on and off constantly..

10. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

More parts enroute from AWI. Hopefully this will solve it.
    I was looking for 15 gallons in 5 or 6 hours, I could live with that.

How does everyone use these units for anything other than a 1GPD top off unit ? I always see threads with people using RO units to fill for water changes , ect.

Cheers

11. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Update

OK,
    So here is where I am at.
    After some trial and error and a few shipped parts from AWI, I have te unit installed. Still not very impressed, but thats me.

After I received the upper rail unit, wrong unit, but I managed to move the parts around, I tested the unit. I got 1 gallon of RO/DI in 25 minutes.

Here is the Unit Installed, next to the house unit. I decided to just use the two units, not happy about that...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the BRS ATO unit. Tight fit, but it fit..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I put a T on the line going to the ATO in the sump so I can have a line to fill for WC. I just hope it can handle it..

[​IMG]

So here is what I noticed, There is a pressure gauge on the TIII, when it was pumping water it ready 50psi or what ever,.

So in a setup, your ATO will call for water and turn it off when not needed. When this happens, the water from the TIII drains for a bit, then the gauge goes to 0 as it is no longer producing water.

:confused: IS this concidered normal ?

12. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

My Typhoon 5 Stage 75 GPD unit makes 5 gallons in about 72 minutes. It's been that way since day one. It's connected to a float valve and keeps my tank (sump) at the proper level. When it's time for a water change, I connect the hose to a 20 gallon rubbermaid bin, and set my timer for about 3 hours.