two weeks of cycling

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mac77, Dec 24, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mac77

mac77 Plankton

I am starting my tank all over again because I got tired of all kinds of algae problems. I have live rock and a sump with a skimmer in it. Today I noticed very little but is there, brown hairy looking lagae on the rocks and on the glass. Is this normal? I know that when cycling new tanks algae will happen and will go away, thats what the books say and what I have heard in this forum. But as you understand I am paranoid about algae I really dont want to have problems again. My tank is 75 gallons, with a satellite lighting system of 260 watts. These lights are 13 months old. I know I may need to change them but Is it really needed now that I am just cycling the tank?
    I was told by the store that I need more power like 550 watts if I want corals in it, it this really necesary? Also have my lights on 8 hours a day, should I keep them off for a while or not? I see that anythere light does not shime on, there is NO algae. I will really apreciate any advice and recomendations,

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

well the algae is normal, its all part of cycling...as for the light...i sorta agree that you prolly need more lighting unless you simply want to keep shrooms and stuff. :)

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

the cyano is something you will always have, but can control. by testing and bringing down phosphates, etc, you will have less. If you get more lighting, the algae will probably come back full force. I have a total of 96w (3.2w-pg), and my hard corals seem to enjoy it. :p

5. mac77

mac77 Plankton

2 weeks cycling

I am having algae already in my tank only at two weeks of new cycling. I am seen what looks like small little trees of algae on the glass, live rock and sand, what is this? this algae has ;ike a brown greenish color to it.
    I hope this is not hair algae or cyano, because they are the reason I started again with my tank, to try to get rid off algae.
    Another question, will 2 skimmer help in combating the algae? I have a in sump skimmer , I would add a hang on slimmer, what do you guys think?
    Thank you again for your help and I hope someone will tell me what exactly how to be succcesful at this.

6. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

man you have alot going on here that we know nothing about. Did you cook the rock from your last setup or just let it sit in a tub gathering alot of nasties or was it new LR. Cyno is red and that usually comes later. What is in the tank? Fish, how much LR, inverts, etc.. Algae is only caused by excess nutrients-Are you using an RODI? What type of skimmer are you using? You seem to be going through the diatom phase.JMHO! What are you water parims? You can do some lps and softies with your light. good luck

edit-oh and change the bulbs ot why not just upgrade to a mh setup

7. mac77

mac77 Plankton

yes, I am using RO water, I have a lttle of phosphates but I just added the phos-guard to get it out, I will test tomorrow.

8. Click Here!

9. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

Let the tank do its thing!!!
    Don't add fish!!
    Don't do a water change!
    Let the tank cycle, I know you want to get started but the wait really is worth it, you can wait 2 or so mos or you can try and jump the gun and kill things, deal with cyno outbreaks, Algeblumes and ick for 6 mos wasting hundreds of dollors in the process. its up to you.

10. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

if you started your tank all over again is this from scratch? if so let it cycle. and if you dont have fish in it throw some peel and eat shrimp in the tank this will give the cycle a huge jumpstart and just let it go till its all gone it will dissapear. no matter what your going to go thru the alge process but i reccomend changing 10% a week no more then that but start doing that after the cycle is complete 0 ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrite. some tanks can take up to a month or so to cycle so be patient. as far as your lighting it depends on what corals you want some sites have info on the degree of lighting and care you need for each coral. now if you go with pcs you can still have a decent selection mushrooms, leathers, some polyps heres a decent site with that info check it out

http://www.coralreefecosystems.com/gallery_corals.htm

11. fatsplat10

fatsplat10 Plankton

hey whats up i also cycling my tank and its been about 11 days
    i also have algea just like u discribed. you know what a friend of mine has a tank and it was filled with hair algea he bought about 15-20 crabs and snail .
    And in about a week 75% of the algae was gone

pete

12. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Show me an ocean bottom without algae and I'll tell you that you've stumbled upon a Hollywood ocean set.

Algae is going to grow, especially when your tank is first cycling.... diatom algae is the first to be seen... you'll notice brownish/yellowish algae covering a good part of your livesand and glass walls, which will slowly dissapear as your tank matures. Using silicate free water will also decrease the lengthiness of this algae... The next is your common green algae.. This is somewhat of a good algae as many of your inverts and some fish will feed on this. Think of it as a free food. While unsightly to look at, it's natural. Plus, don't expect your tank to be cycled and ready to rock within 2 weeks of starting your cycle. God didn't pour water onto the earth, add a 1/2 cup of instant ocean salt per gallon of water and wait 3 days and go BAM!

Patience people...

1 person likes this.