two questions that i would like answers

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by dellyjoe, Oct 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

...............if an object has volume(as all matter does) something will be displaced...that being the water in this situation. A fish that weighs 10 lbs, weighs 10 lbs on land. In water, it still weighs 10 lbs, but not all that weight is being forced upon the fish tank.
    My point exactly. Finally..

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

If you want to keep fish with the know potential for attempts at flight or as we in the hobby term Carpet surfers - then a cover of some sort is a good idea

but its not a good idea to completely cover your tank as this makes gas exchange more difficult so you could end up with high CO2, Low Oxygen and then a low PH due to it

other question the tank will weigh somewhere between 500 - 510lb - give or take with less than a 2% margin for error

Steve

1 person likes this.
  5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

True. I also think this depends upon where in the tank(up or down), the fish is.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Yama, I kinda think they are trolling you.

But if they are serious they should go get a scale, bucket of water, and 1-2 heavy glasses(that float). weigh the bucket of water, then weigh again with the glasses floating the bucket of water... the scale will show a weight gain.

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

A lid is absolutely not necessary. The weightless fish can just fly around the room with their anti-gravity belts (as long as their not dead).

But, seriously, +1 for what Steve said. An open top is better for gas exchange, put on a mesh top if you have jumpers.

8. Click Here!

9. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

I figured that about 30 minutes ago. I figured I would go along with it anyhow. I dont think people can really believe that....LOL if they do they need to prove it by doing what you said :)

10. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

In the true spirit of Mythbusters I decided to go with a small scale test.

I used a large glass with enough water to equal 1 pound on the food scale.

I took an empty medicine bottle with enough quarters in it to equal 1 ounce.

I weighted them separately, 1lb and 1 oz

I weighted them together on the scale (quarters not in glass) 1 lb, 1 oz

I put the medicine bottle w/quarters in the glass so that it floated simulating a fish with swim bladder.

Still weighted 1 lb, 1 oz.

11. Golden Rhino

Golden Rhino Spaghetti Worm

Actually, no. I do agree with you concerning the glasses, but that's completely different. That's more like a boat. It's ability to float is due to it's structure, not anti-gravitational capabilities, and yes, it's weight will be added. I still say you need to weigh a swimming fish or floating hot air balloon to convince me I'm wrong.

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

like i said trolling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.