two questions that i would like answers

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by dellyjoe, Oct 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

What is displaced? the ONLY way that the weight would not go up is if what ever you put in it displaces the water.

2. Click Here!

3. Golden Rhino

Golden Rhino Spaghetti Worm

Gravity is what gives mass it's weight. While boyancy (anti-gravity) doesn't change the mass, it does affect the weight, hence the objects ability to float, whether in air or water.

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Oh, wait a minute, I get it. Swim bladders are like anti-gravity belts, so, since there is NO gravity working on the fish, the tank weighs 500 lbs.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I'm not sure what you are talking about but..
    I kinda think you guys are getting confused by the word displaced.
    displaced:
    1. To move or shift from the usual place or position, especially to force to leave a homeland: millions of refugees who were displaced by the war.
    2. To take the place of; supplant.
    3. To discharge from an office or position.

now when you use the word displaced it doesn't necessarily mean that something is lost from the system only it is shifted(whether it be to another place inside or outside).

6. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

Guys come on....were not talking about the Jetsons here.

Did you even look at my previous post? here it is again.

So your telling me that if I fill a bucket /tank up with water to where it weights 30 lbs and I put 10lbs of floating golf balls in that bucket and it doesnt displace any water (Hence spill out...it is still contained in the bucket/tank) that the bucket of water and balls still weights 30lbs......::) That doesnt make any sense. Hot air ballons float due to the hot air being trapped in the balloon. It still weights the same but it has more uplift from the hot air than the down pull of gravity. Hence the reason it goes up.

7. barbianj

What about a hawkfish? They don't even have swim bladders. Do they weigh more or less than, say, a tang?

8. Click Here!

9. Golden Rhino

Yes, I read... and I disagree. How can you believe your own last line and not understand my posts? Can you weigh a floating balloon? No. Can you weigh a swimming fish? Again, no. So therefore, their boyancy has countered gravity, which gives them their weight in the first place.

I'm not saying mass has changed, or the weight of that mass minus the boyancy, but boyancy counters gravity and allows floatation, which in turn changes the weight of the floating object.

10. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  11. barbianj

I was being a smart a$$ about the anti-gravity belts, but you saying that because a fish has a swim bladder and floats, it weighs nothing, therefore a fish WITHOUT a swim bladder must weigh SOMETHING?

12. Golden Rhino

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.