two part brain coral question

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by booge1969, Sep 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. booge1969

booge1969 Flamingo Tongue

i would like to state right off the bat that i don't have a camera right now so sorry about that issue. the coral in question is a open brain. i was wondering if all three of the mouths must be fed or if the middle mouth (which is the biggest one by the way and usually get most of the food) will feed the whole coral by itself. i do try to feed all three but the middle mouth gets the most. my second question involves splitting. the coral was fairly flat and open when i got it, but over the last few weeks it is starting to bunch up on one side between the middle mouth and the one on the right. this bunch up i would describe as the top and bottom are starting to come together. (like pinching in) the coral is very healthy. it eats like a pig, and is always fully expanded. could this coral be trying to split in that section or do they not do that.

thanks in advance

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

It may be starting to split, judging by your description. Just so you know, mine has been pinched in the middle since I got in about 7 months ago, and it hasn't split, so if it is, it'll take a rather long time to finish.

On an open brain, one mouth will feed the whole thing. However, if you feed one mouth exclusively, it'll try to grow so that that mouth can grab more food, possibly getting rid of the others in the process.

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

What type of open brain? Does it have feeding tentacles?

With my trachy, I just put food on the tentacles and the coral picks where it goes. It is all the same coral so it doesn't really matter which mouth eats more.

As far as splitting, if it is coming together and attached it is splitting.

5. booge1969

as far as i can tell it is a trachy. it does have tentacles, and i try to spred the food along the whole top. what happens though is the center mouth opens so large that it pretty much consumes all the food while the two mouths on each side are playing tug of war with it for theirs.

6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Don't worry about it. The food goes to the same place anyway.

7. booge1969

thanks for the help yall