Two of Three Frogspawn Shrinking

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Jd3, Jan 25, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jd3

Jd3 Plankton

hi there,

Two of my three frogspawn heads are shriveling and I cannot figure out why.. Levels were all checked out as normal according to my lfs and up until two weeks ago all three were behaving normally. Has anyone experienced this before? I'm newish to the LPS portion of the hobby and have had the frogspawn for about one month.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. kornaco40B

kornaco40B Spaghetti Worm

Assuming these are your only corals, and parameters are in check, I'm guessing something may be irritating those two in particular. Vague, huh? :tongue: Maybe flow, too much seems to make some shrink. If the tissue looks healthy and/or not funky, I wouldn't get too worried. Lighting, too much or too little. Heck, I don't know. If they aren't on the fast track to the afterlife--just monitor and go with the flow.

Bump for more opinions or advice.

4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Lighting? Maybe that clown fish? Flow? You need to get your own test kits. Dont trust your lfs.

cody3819 and kornaco40B like this.
  5. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

I almost lost my frogspwan colony from a calcium spike..... I only have two heads left, and the smallest ones it had. But flow can be an issue as well. They like very gentle flow, a soft back and forth motion. But I have noticed in the pick your clown is in them, or appears to be. Clownfish can be very hard on coral, so that may be as well..... Hard to say, but I'd agree with civic. I would test my own water....

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  6. Jim Bonds

Jim Bonds Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Clowns can bother euphyllia as suggested. They usually get used to it in time from what I've seen. My father-in-law has a big head of hammer with a clown that thinks it's being hosted. As suggested, if it doesn't look unhealthy then I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. Give it time to acclimate to changes.

The big thing, which is noted by others, is checking your water params. Alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium are important. Don't forget phosphate. Phosphates can slow and even halt calcification which eventually leads to tissue recession.

Light and flow can also irritate euphyllia. They do like more gentle flow and I usually don't see them directly beneath lights. But if you were going to see a problem due to those, I think you would have seen it a while ago rather than just now.

SkyFire and cody3819 like this.