Two new additions to my tank! Plate and Candy Cane!

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Claic Yuzolt, Jan 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Claic Yuzolt

Claic Yuzolt Bubble Tip Anemone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A lot of the candy canes heads are splitting and I actually got two different colors!

Can anyone give me the low down on any special ways I should place and feed these two corals?

Will the plate turn completely purple or is this just it?

The reason I ask is because I ordered it from Liveaquaira and I ordered a Purple Plate, its more of a green and I don't know if I should fuss about it or not...hope it turns.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The plate will stay the same or maybe add some more purple and will catch any food floating by. Really cool watching them feed, they move the food to the mouth by transfer it from tentacle to tentacle.The purple designation is for whatever purple shows up.

The candy cane will feed on most frozen preparations. I have seen mine feed on Coral Frenzy that I use to feed my SPS.

4. Claic Yuzolt

So is it like spot feeding where they somehow catch the mysis or filter feeding for the candy cane?

5. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Beautiful additions Claic!

You do not need to feed the caulastrea furcatas, they will be fine without extra food. But, it is fun to watch them chow down on some mysis every now and then.

Your fungia will most likely stay purple around the edges. And yes, you can feed that one every once in a while too.

6. Claic Yuzolt

Thanks Tom! Both from live aquaria, they were on sale! How do I know the candy canes are eating the mysis? Do I just squirt it around them? How do they catch it?

7. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

To be honest I wouldn't even worry about feeding them. As long as your parameters are within the accepted range(s), and your lighting is decent they should be fine. They are very hardy.

8. Click Here!

9. Claic Yuzolt

I would just like to see them snag a piece of mysis and see it you know? Sounds cool.

Can I overfeed my plate? I have been feeding it every other day, but thats only for two days.

10. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Oh ya, it is neat. All you really need to do is turn off the flow, and spray some near them and their feeding tentacles should come out and grab some. You might want to wait till it settles in a little bit more though, it might be to soon for him to eat.

11. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

I wouldn't feed him that much, maybe once or twice a week with a little bit of mysis or brine should be OK.

12. Claic Yuzolt

Thanks tom, as always you are very helpful. Will the canes eventually get like swollen you could say and bigger or is this the right size?