Two new 100 G starfire glassand tank and one 80G tank incomming

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Mudbeaver, Apr 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mudbeaver

Mudbeaver Coral Banded Shrimp

Ok i place this here because i've been gone from the gig for so long everything's changed and i feel like a newby. I certainly know the basic but where to look for stuff and whats good today in terms of parts and equipment no idea. So i trust the mods will find a place for this thread if not appropriate. :)

Ok here goes;

Overall system will be a central 100 G LPS reef tank with a closed loop cause i want anemones in there and aqua sculptures. Programable LED lighting shalow sand bottom.

The top tank will be a 80 G diverse macro algae biotope 72"x 18"x16" divided in two or two 30 gallons tanks with miracle mud and sand for my sea horses , crabs and shrimps , no snails and will be part of the overall filtration system. Lit by T5 system not sure what yet. no ballast.

The sump in the bottom of the stand will be a 70G clean and clear for my instrument no lights.

So the plan his; Calfo intake along the hole lengt of the tank 1"1/2 wide into an external box 30" long X 5" wide leading to the sump. The return going to the second 80 G tank on top will be divide in two section and coming down into the main central reef tank. The closed loop however will be only for the central reef tank. The top 80 tank will have internal power heads. Unless i can make a line going to the top tank as well with the loop, with a bigger pump maybe. Not sure yet that why i'm here to get input guys HELP:confused::help:

Ok so far i hear Octopus for skimmer and Velocity pumps for my closed loop. :-/

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Mudbeaver

This is what i got so far

The master plan1 but i need help with the questions below

[​IMG]

Now i understand a bit but its the math that i don't. The positionting of valves and why you put an elbow here or there not a plubmer by any mean here and boy i'm lost. So anything to guide me is cool. Its easy to take my plan too and draw on it what your explaining to me i'm more visual than technical, ya i know , Dum ass no#1 here lol Thanks guys really appreciate any suggestion you have. If you think its crap don't be affraid to tell. I rather make the change now. How here are SOME of my prime questions;

- How much room should i leave behind the tank and stand( Remember the left side will be a few inches from 2 mirrors closet doors, so access will be through those closet.

- How big the sump should be ? usually 30 % of tanks but with the loop i'm all screwed up.

- How many holes shouls i have for the loop 2-4-6?
    - Should some of those holes be in the bottom or not?
    -How do i prevent air bubbles?
    - emergency valve where do i put them?
    - how do i make wave with that system?
    -I'm told the Velocity T3 pumps is very quiet and to take it cause its better to have more power than you need and ajust than not enough. Y or N?
    - The reason for the Loop i want anemones in my thank this time i lost too many with powerheads.
    -Did i miss anything????lol of course i did, please tell. thank you for your time.:help:thinking2
    -The feed for the pump should i take it like i did in the design from the side of the sump?

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Wow, Great ideas!

Welcome to 3Reef!

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

gosh, I really wish I could help you but plumbing and design are way over my head. In looking at your design, it looks great! It sounds like you know a lot about the basics - you're not that bad of a noob :).....

6. Mudbeaver

Ok guys i think i made a mistake in my design look at it and let me know if i did . maybe its nothing but.... anyway look at it.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure i forgot to filter my biotope up there it dumps right in my Reef tank non-gratta. So what do i do? Where do i put those pipes. Do i send the drain directly into the sum? What a ride and noises! Dump it in the Reef's box? I'm Stuck , i'm stuck ! I'm Stuck!!!!!

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  7. Mudbeaver

Where's the pump

[​IMG]

Pan World Pumps Asia Pacific is a member of the Pan World Group, Japan. Pan World is a leading maker of magnetic drive pumps. It produces one of the widest ranges in the world. Also know by Blueline HD pumps in the USA. These pumps were designed and built by the former chief engineer from Iwaki-Japan. They feature similar flow rates and head pressure. They offer low noise, and reliablity that have made Iwaki the best magnetic drive pumps available. The PanWorld pumps are even a little more quiet then Iwaki, they have a full 2 year parts and labor guarantee. All seal-free bearings and magnetic drive for many years of trouble free use. These pumps also include the Powercord, something iwaki leaves off.

We highly recommend these pumps as the best quality option you can get for your tank. Plus you can't beat there price, which is lower then Iwaki. So if you need a good reliable pump that won't over heat your water or run you out of the house due to noise, this is it.

Model 100PX-X - equal to Iwaki MD40X Circulation rated.

Specifications :

1270gph max flow
    13 foot max head pressure
    130 watts
    1" MPT in/out
    Footprint 4" x 10.5"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  8. Click Here!

9. Mudbeaver

New Holes lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going for this for the first box,Yuk!! i hate that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  10. Mudbeaver

progress report

A few changes; new sketch program lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Mudbeaver

Some changes are being made as i'm posting these new sketch but its progress

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reef Tank pulled out of its steel stand, $ 2000

[​IMG]

Top biotope tank pulled out of the stand

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Mudbeaver

Well i met my professional guy yesterday. Wow here's the news; No C2C, Over kill for his taste, Skimmer these days takes care of that.Then he says about the connection to my sump No overflow box, too many holes for nothing too expensive and redundant. He's going for tubes in the tank since i'm making two sculpture for the loop i'll integrate them in it. Two 2 inch neighter will be plug at the same time no disaster. So four holes in the bottoms 2x 2" for drains and 2x 1 " for closed loop with 8 acceleration exit . Now that i've illiminated the overflow boxes he wants to make my tank 24" wide instead of 18" so it would be 72"x 24"W x19"H and would still have 6" in the back I dont object but $$$ this is whats going to decide. at 18" the stand alone was $ 2 000 the tank was $ 1200 before drilling....The guy is good and simplefy things very well.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.