Urgent Two algae IDs

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Brennan, Mar 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

The reason I marked this as urgent is I have the LR with the algae out of the tank and would like to put it back ASAP

Ok well I just saw a random algae pop up in my tank today, it kinda looks like ulva but I am not sure because my Kole Tang didnt even touch it and tangs are supposed to love ulva. Also I saw another weird algae in my tank and it is spreading fast, I think its Dictyota but I am not sure once again.

here is the algae I think is ulva
    [​IMG]

And here is the one I think could be Dictyota
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

4. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Does the 1st one start from a stalk and then widen out into what looks like a fan shape? If so, it could be Mermaid's Fan.

Here's a link with a pic:

Mermaid's Fan Plant

5. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

Yes it does, I thought that too

6. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

I felt the algae that was thought to be mermaids fan and it was slimy and kinda soft but still rigid so I am thinking its Ulva, the other algae I didn't want to risk and it was on a very small rock so I just trashed it

7. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

If the first one looks kind of like mermaid's fan, it's probably Udotea. I had someone ID some of that on a frag I got a couple weeks ago. Mermaid's fan is like halimeda, more calcareous.

If you're worried about them, pull them off, rinse the rock in saltwater, then put the rocks back.