Turquoise Tail Line Maroon (Premnas biaculeatus)

Discussion in 'iBluewater' started by iBluewater, Nov 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. iBluewater

iBluewater Senior Member (PhD)

Photos taken under full spectrum lighting - 5500K
    [​IMG]

The Turquoise Tail Line Maroon (Premnas biaculeatus) was discovered in East Malaysia
    by iBluewater collectors on a dive trip earlier this year. Back in 2010, they had discovered and collected several specimens of Blue Spotted Maroons (Premnas biaculeatus) close by and believed the area could hold other rare Gold Stripe Maroon variants.

The Turquoise Tail Line specimen was found at about the 16 feet depth. One of the divers had caught sight of the Maroon's shimmering reflections from its turquoise tail line and spots. These are the same reflections you see in the photos.

As this Maroon swims between lighted and shaded areas of its holding tank its turquoise tail line and spots shimmer and give the appearance of luminescence. Its two turquoise spots are one on each side of its body. These spots, along with the tail line, are framed by black outlines. In addition, its yellow cap is edged with a pencil thin turquoise line.

While in holding, the Maroon was fed with some variation in foods to determine if foods have any bearing on the unique coloration and luminescence of its spots and tail line.

• Month one, it was fed with tuna, salmon, marine based shrimp, and New Zealand green mussels.
    • Month two, it ate high quality pellet food.
    • The next 6 weeks, it ate lower quality beta-flakes.
    • Thereafter, it ate mysis shrimp which have been boosted with amino acids, vitamins, and Omega 3 oils, with protein at 69%.
    [​IMG]

All through the different food types, it continued healthy and strong, maintaining the color of its luminescent tail line and spots.

On a separate dive trip earlier, the Blue Tail Line Darwin's Black & White Ocellaris had been discovered by iBluewater collectors. This, naturally, raises the possibility of other clownfish species also carrying similar variations of color or gene.

It may not be very long before this team discovers, amongst the yellow stripe maroons, some specimen with markings like the lightning maroon and bearing the additionally unique blue or turquoise coloration.
    That will be quite a spectacular fish - a lightning maroon with blue/turquoise markings.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you take just a moment to really look at the fish you can clearly see the color variation. Beautiful fish.

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Beautiful fish, I assume it's already sold? Am I allowed to ask how much? I'd rather this fish over the lightning variant IMO. Gotta love nature's little quirks like that :)

5. iBluewater

iBluewater Senior Member (PhD)

Thank you, yes its going overseas to a private collector.

6. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Very nice specimen!

I have a question off-topic, though (didn't want to make a thread just to ask). Christmas is rolling around and I was wondering if you sell gift certificates or anything of the like?