Turf Algae Scrubber Lamp???

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Kaianuanu, May 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kaianuanu

Kaianuanu Peppermint Shrimp

I have built a turf algae scrubber and im about to start it with a 5000k, 27w CFL. But I need to know the optimal kelvin rating for the turf algae.

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Daylight 6700k is the best.

4. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I use a 5k (vertical scrubber with a bulb on each side). I tried higher K bulbs, but I couldnt get a good placement where it made happy growth. I was either too far back & I didnt get an even spread, or too close close and I wouldnt get good growth in the center from too much light. I enclosed my scrubber to reduce noise & evaporation and that layer of plexi in between the light & the algae no doubt played a part in that.

5. milkman

milkman Plankton

I use 6500k CFL that I get in a twin pack from Lowes for about $7

6. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

1+ 6500k on both sided and close as u can get them

7. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

To do it correctly you need to get 2700K rated bulbs and mount them 4" away from each side of the screen.

8. Click Here!

9. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Thats not necessarily a final answer bulletproof true statement. The bulb K rating will vary with distance from the screen. I know there is one model being marketed that runs T-5 bulbs about an inch and a half from the screen, and that is from a very reputable person in the ATS community. I have tried different bulbs & distance, and I think I am now about about 5" +/- with 6500k bulbs and things are working wonderfully.

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

+2 Best bulbs going for this type of use IMO.

11. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

I don't suppose you have a thread with you scrubber up?

12. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

No. At the moment I dont have a build thread up. I made it before learning the value of online forums in this hobby. Once I get the kids in school though I am looking at redesigning my sump & ATS. At the moment my water flow runs Overflow--> ATS --> Sump --> skimmer --> refuge -->return. Because of the pump power (mag 9.5) I have a Y branch with part going returned to the tank & part looping back onto into the sump. I am thinking I will redo my sump with my return pump in the middle, using the Y return with one line returning the DT and the second branch line feeding my ATS in turn feeding into my fuge. I think this will work more effectively plus I need to redo the glueing of my baffles in the sump. I think this route will give me more overall turn over in the DT and allow me more flexible water adjustment to the ATS. (and be all around alittle quieter).