turf algae filter

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by LCP136, Aug 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I just read an article about turf algae filters. I am happy with my setup with a protein skimmer and doing water changes and am not looking to change it, but the idea of a turf algae filter intrigued me. Does anyone know about these contraptions and if they work. This isn't urgent, i'm just kind of curious.

Thanks

LCP

2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

5. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

6. Hgherb

Hgherb Plankton

Check this video in YouTube is called algae turf scrubber proven large scale algae production and water treatment system. It take out 100 percent of phosphate and nitrate out naturally.

7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I liked mine...at first but then the algae on the scrubber didn't have the nutrients it needed so would die. That would release too much nutrients and my macro's couldn't keep up so I'd get algae in the tank again. Then the cycle would start all over. Later I found out that all that algae is not only taking nutrients it's stripping the water of essential elements as well.
    John Maloney made a very good post on that on another forum. I've diverted flow from mine and when I switch from a tote to an AGA fuge it will come out completely.