turbo snails

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Notturnia, Mar 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

bye now i can only keep under 5volts in the tank.. i moved some snails in the fugium, in the soft tank and all over the place in the display..
    spoken to the shop and they told me can be a light shock .. as they were in a tank w/o light since the last month.. and my tank has 3w/liter so they think they are shocked but alive..

so i moved.. will keep updated

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I've never heard of snails getting light shock so I don't believe that is your problem but one never knows :)

4. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

same as me ...
    he told his salinity was 1024 and i had 1025.. he had 25° and i have 26.5° temperature.
    light and hot water under MH should not be a trouble as i introduced them in the evening at light's off.. but they did a 2 and half hour trip in my car (in a transhipping box.. ) so they should not had too many trouble ..

maybe we did a too fast acclimatization.. but all 21 (thought 20...) have problems.. so should be something in my tank... but cant understand.. btw.. no copper in tank.. checked.. just a few alluminium.. near the 0... so donno... i also bring salinity to 1026 and raised pH .. but.. dont think it matter...

there is something i miss.. i'm sure.. and the worst is i would like to avoid same mistake in the future... in the new tank ..

btw.. i have 4 urichn.. (cant remember the right word... sry) so i have some invertebrates in the tank.. and they are happy feeding with my algae...

... will tell you.. but i think tomorrow i will start remove the snails.. btw.. they do not smell for now.. and skimmer is still working as usuall.. nothing strange.. so think nothing decomposing inside..

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I have introduced many snails without any acclimation at all so that might not be the problem either. Do you happen to know what kind of turbo snails they are? Perhaps a cold water species as mentioned before?

6. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

accordling to the shop he had them 1 month in his tank ... so should not be cold snails..
    when my wife come back i will make a pic and post.. (donno where she put the photocamera....)

7. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

k this morning i saw one snail to move itself of 5 cm.. it harvested an alga... and moved 5 cm.. then stop again.. since the last 5 hours it's not moving.. but it did...

btw.. the "sniff" test is ok.. no one smell like bad fish in a market :D

.... will post news when i'll have..

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

yup, me too. i just plop the little suckers in.

10. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

also yesterday only 1 snail was moving.. the same one.. not much but moving..
    the other still dont smell bad.. but not moving.. reacting if i touch them.. they will close inside.. but... nothing more...

still waiting...