Turbo Snail Out Of Food (Algae)

Discussion in 'Algae' started by tgood, Jun 20, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

I have an 8 gal. nano and after the cycle there was a decent amount of brown algae. I placed one medium sized Turbo Snail in and it quickly went to work on the algae. Now all my rock is basically spotless and the snail constantly makes its "laps" around the tank. Normally I wouldn't mind this, but I have a GSP frag and a zoa frag and the snail continually crawls over both frags causing them to close up. They open back up fairly quickly (about an hour later) but I'm afraid this will start to cause them to remain closed for longer periods. If this won't cause any problems with the frags then great, but I (like others) like when my polyps are open!

My question: Is it possible the snail is out of algae to feed on? If so, should I just take him out of the tank? Or should I start to feed more to get some algae growing? My Nitrates/Phosphates are 0 so I haven't been having much (if any) visible algae growth. Suggestions are appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

The "brown algae" (actually diatoms) are a normal part of the cycling process, and would have cleared up all on its own without the snail.

IMHO, turbos are really best if you have a HA problem, and a larger tank than an 8 gal, and you tank is really too young to support much of a CUC at this juncture.

I'd remove the snail, as you're finding out firsthand how clumsy turbos are, but you can try feeding it some nori or blanched spinach.

1 person likes this.