Turbo snail hitchhiker

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Yellow Tang, Jun 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Yellow Tang

Yellow Tang Bubble Tip Anemone

What is this on my turbo

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

It's one of the so-called "limpets" that live on other molluscs. They aren't truly parasites (nor truly limpets), although they may dissolve their attachment spots until they eat all the way through the host's shell. They are mostly harmless, although, if they die, and have dissolved a hole all the way through the Turbo's shell, it may make that snail vulnerable.

I don't recognize the particular species, and I don't have my Tropical West America book here, so I haven't been able to look it up. It's probably either belongs to the Hipponicidae, Capulidae, or Calyptraeidae.

Cheers,

Don

4. Yellow Tang

Yellow Tang Bubble Tip Anemone

5. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

You sure it's not a barnacle? I had a couple that had barnacles on them that looked like that (almost like a limpet).

Gosh, I can't believe I'm questioning Pago! :eek:

6. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

LOL it's okay, you can question me any time! That thing that looks like it might be a barnacle is only the apex of the shell. See that mottled maroon part that covers about a quarter of the visible area (in that pic) of the Turbo shell? That's part of the shell, too. If you make the pic big, and realize how much flat shell you're looking at, it won't look as much like a barnacle. :)

Cheers,

Don

7. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Interesting. It's pretty blurry even blown up but it looked to me like the "eye" looking part with the slit across it that the barnacle reaches out of (going by memory).

Looking at a pic I took of mine, though, definitely not the same thing. My barnacle's shell wasn't as smooth as that looks. I should know better than to rely on my memory!!!

View attachment 41920

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. Kristiavi

Kristiavi Coral Banded Shrimp

So the picture you posted was a barnicle? a few of my snails have them and have the little fans coming out, i thought they were pretty neat!

10. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Yes, the one I posted is a barnacle.