Turbinaria not looking good (partially)

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by PharmrJohn, Sep 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

OK, here it goes. I got a good sized Turbinaria from a LFS dude who was going out of business. Good price. Large rock for $45. So I put it in my tank. It took a week and a half to look as it did in the LFS. I expected a few days, but when it finally opened up, all was well with me (and more importantly the coral). I have found it likes moderate lighting and moderate flow. I have it in both. From the pics you can see that part of it appears to by dying. It has been like this for three days. I have spot fed it once a few days ago in case photosynthesis was not working 100% for it. I don't want to move it until I hear from y'all.

I run PCs 2x65 10000K, 2x55 12000K and 2x420 actinics. The bulbs are 4 months, 2 months and 2 months old. My flow in the tank is 2600GPH. My last parameter check came back a few days ago as:

Temp: 82
    SG: 1.026
    pH: 8.1
    NO3: 15
    ALK: 10
    Ca: 450
    Mg: 1460
    PO4: 0.75
    Combined Iodate/Iodine: 0
    Iodide: 0.08

My skimmer has been breaking in for the last week and a half, and I am about to bring it online fully here in a day or two. Probably tomorrow, just depending on work.

Here is a before pic when it was on the sand.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic a few weeks later up off the sand. I brought it off the sand because the flow was too much down there.

[​IMG]

Ideas on this one? Am I overreacting again?

TIA.......John.

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I'd say put it back on the sand & maybe re-direct one powerhead ??? looked pretty good on the sand!

4. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

What makes you think it didn't like that much flow? It was beautiful down on the sand! I agree...move it back!

5. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

I don't have one but from my reading it says that they need good current flow to flush mucus and you might need to use a turky baster to clean it of its waste if they accumulate. I hope this will help.

6. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Is that a frogspawn or hammer in front of it. It isn't touching it when the tentacles are fully extended are they because if they are thats your answer.

It still may be, it may just be to lose period. I know that I have to keep everything away form mine or they fight chemically. I would try moving it away and see how it does then.

Also everything I have read said it requires medium to strong flow.

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I moved it to the sand yesterday evening and noon, it was showing improvement. Right now, I am not worried about it at all. Constant improvement. So. Frogspawn, huh? Well, I will watch my placement from here on out. Thanks. John.