Tunze 9002 skimmer microbubbles! HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by TheSurgeonSween, Jan 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheSurgeonSween

TheSurgeonSween Fire Shrimp

Hello so currently I am running a 28g reef tank with a tunze 9002 skimmer. I have had the skimmer running for about a year now with no troubles and it has been skimming great!

But recently I have run into a problem involving micro bubbles :angry:
    The only thing that I have changed recently would be one of my return pumps. I changed out the not-working stock pump with a maxi jet 900 and it has been great in my tank. But at the same time I added this pump, my skimmer started producing the microbubbles as well as not producing any skim mate. Im out of ideas and I really need some help to stop this!

The water level in fine in the skimmer, I have cleaned it not once but TWICE, and I have adjusted the airflow several times and still nothing :(

Any Suggestions would be GReaaaatt!!

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Have you taken it apart and put it back together? Mine would start to product micro bubbles after a month or two. I would tear it apart and that would fix it.

4. TheSurgeonSween

yes i have done it twice...

5. TheSurgeonSween

it stopped producing skimmate and started microbubbles the same day too so im not sure y...

6. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

One cheap item you could buy is a new impeller. I was having all sorts of issues with my skimmer and when eshopps sent me a new one, everything went back to normal. Those little things really make a big difference.

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Make sure the bottom plate is fully attached. When mine makes MB it's always when the bottom plate is loose. Also double check to see if salt is building up inside the clear plastic 90 deg bend.

Iv experienced the same things, check out the 90 deg bend for salt buildup and your bottom plate.

8. Click Here!

9. TheSurgeonSween

Will try again tomorrow. Maybe even post a picture of my tank, it's been awhile!

10. TheSurgeonSween

So today I took it apart once again and made sure that 90 was clean which it was then put it back together making sure the bottom was fully on. I then turned it back on and sure enough my tank was full of bubbles :(

Don't know what else there is to do at this point

11. TheSurgeonSween

12. TheSurgeonSween