Tunze 9002 protein skimmer not working!! Need help

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by TheSurgeonSween, Jan 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheSurgeonSween

TheSurgeonSween Fire Shrimp

Hello, I have had my tank for a little over 2 years and my tunze skimmer for about 1 year. It has worked fine but lately it has been causing me some trouble. The problem I am having with it is that it is producing no skimmate what so ever. I have cleaned the skimmer multiple times and have inspected it as well but I cannot find a solution.

Really need your help 3reef!!

Thank you!!

2. Click Here!

3. jasonak

jasonak Plankton

I have the exact same skimmer,,honestly i dont care for it much after having big in sump skimmers who pull out in in a couple hours what this does in 2 weeks. Mine goes on the fritz as well. Normally when my water level gets low. Then the inside of tube will dry and bubbles dont want to come out anymore. Is it bubbling ?

4. TheSurgeonSween

It is bubbling. And the screw to adjust the air flow is EXTREMELY sensitive as well for some reason. Not sure y it's not working. Water level is fine too

5. jasonak

jasonak Plankton

how long has it not been working for day weeks ? If you cleaned it really well using viniger it will take a bit for them to come back online. Ive noticed that,its like they need to break back in. If you just rinsed it out and used scrub brush that type of clean mine normally go back online in a day.

6. TheSurgeonSween

I have been skimmerless since Christmas now. My sps health is not doing as good anymore :( Also I scrubbed my skimmer down with a tooth brush and ran it a couple days but nothing.

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

This skimmer is a very simple design, can you see where these bubbles are coming from?

Top or bottom? Do you see any cracks or bends on the skimmer? Run the entire skimmer in vinegar/water solution for a few hours, this will clear off any calcium buildup.

Lastly, post pictures of the skimmer (inside, out & parts).

8. Click Here!

9. TheSurgeonSween

Will post pictures tomorrow!
    I don't see where the microbubble are coming out of. And everything looks fine on it. No cracks or bends. Ill try the vinegar and water solution tomorrow as well

10. Singlefin

Singlefin Astrea Snail

How much did you take it apart to clean? Is it possible the tube is kinked, the elbow came out or the Venturi isn't seated?

11. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

That's what I thought too, he mentioned it was clean and clear.

My last guess is its not being put back together properly. Make sure the tube like piece is NOT visible by looking from the top down. It's crucial the foam/bubbles are hitting the bulged plastic at the top.

12. TheSurgeonSween

So I cleaned it again today!!! Still no luck! I'm really getting frustrated here and one thing that is wrong too is that when I tighten the airline knob (sorry forgot what it's called) ALL the way tight the bubbles still overflow into the skimmer cup. Why would this happen!?