Tube worm lost his crown!

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by reddog, Dec 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reddog

reddog Bristle Worm

So i just walked by the tank and noticed the crown of my tube worm is in the rocks to the left and just under the tube completely detached.Is is dead?Iv heard of them dropping due to stress...Should I be worried?

2. Click Here!

3. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Ive seen them drop their crowns and regrow them rather fast. If he is still actively coming out of his tube to eat, I wouldn't be too worried. But I have heard it can be caused from stress. What are your water parameters? People say they need to be fed, but I kept a large hawaiian feather duster in a 10 gallon for nearly two years without putting in any additional food other than flake and mysis for the fish that where in there, and he lived just fine :)

4. reddog

reddog Bristle Worm

Water is good but i have been raising my salinity and mag over the last week or so and im thinking this may have had something to do with it.I havnt seen the worm yet so i have no idea but it looks like just the crown in the rocks.
    Thanks

5. denMk

denMk Flamingo Tongue

Mine just did the same thing about 3 weeks ago and has regrown a new head. The fan worm was fairly new to my tank so I'm not sure if stress did it as well. But it's doing fine and I was amazed at how fast the head regrew. I also noticed that the worm was still in the tube and still eating. The "bare" head would come out of the tube just a little and then quickly snap back in with the tube closing tightly behind it so it wasn't exposed for long.

6. dixiedog

dixiedog Coral Banded Shrimp

Don't worry. It is a normal phase of his life cycle.

He will stay locked up in his tube for several days, and finally emerge with a new, smaller crown, which will grow as large or larger than the first. ;)

7. reddog

reddog Bristle Worm

Sweet thanks. I havnt seen him yet as of know.I also have been dealing with a small bout of cyano and have been cleaning of the rocks daily with a baster and i think i may have stressed him out.That and the recent chemistry changes happening with me raising my params all around.

8. Click Here!

9. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

+1 Maybe its the time of year. Mine just did the same thing last week. I was so bummed, it had a beautiful crown. But it has now reappeared with a new crown. The new crown is smaller but it seems to grow fairly quick.