trying to get rid of xenia

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by yellowviper, Nov 28, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yellowviper

yellowviper Astrea Snail

i have a xenia crop that has almost taken over me 55 gallon reef wanting to do a little house cleaning whats the best way to kill some of it off and not kill other corals in the tank ? im not wanting to remove any of my rock however.

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

heck, dont kill the coral frag and sell it...your lfs will probably give u some credit for it :)

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Yes most definitely...Someone will buy or trade you for them. I have fragged many myself.
    If you just want to get rid of them or even frag them you can slice them off the rock with a razor and attach them to a rubble pile or small pieces of rock. They will attach within 3 days to a week. All you have to do is to hold them loosely to a the rock or rubble with some netting and a rubber band. The key here is to hold them tight enough so they dont float away but loose enough so you don't cut them in half or make them grow into the netting.

Jim

5. billy31422

billy31422 Feather Duster

you dont have to cut them. you can get them off the rocks without cutting. if u get a piece of the base lose with your fingernail you can get the whole stalk off. sometimes its hard but you can do it. also they attatch to other rocks better if you dont cut them. get some base rock let it cure a little in your sump or something and then attatch the xenia to it. then sell it or whatever you want.

6. bustaslick

bustaslick Astrea Snail

xenia....Im sre someone from here will buy or take them off ya, if you can cut them off...-t

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If fragging isn't what you have in mind, try making a paste with kalk and r.o. water and smear it on the xenia. It should melt it. I feel your pain as I have been dealing with an anthellia infestation myself. It's almost impossible to kill it off permenantly and it's taking over my tank :(

8. Click Here!

9. minibowmatt

minibowmatt Plankton

I prune my xenia and SCRAPE and SCRUB the crap out of it, and it still comes back. I am going to try the kalk paste next. I feel your pain!

10. My2heartboys

My2heartboys Fire Worm

I agree. Fragging it is the best and might earn you some credit with your LFS. I would caution against slicing it off of a rock and then putting it into another system all in the same day. Could shock it enough to kill it.

Anne

11. My2heartboys

My2heartboys Fire Worm

Does Anthelia ship well?

Anne

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Don't know, nobody's ever wanted it :) I would assume that it ships as well or as poorly as xenia does seeing as they're a similar type of coral.