Trying to get coraline algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Funkify360, Mar 9, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Funkify360

Funkify360 Plankton

Im using kent calcium and iodine quarter teaspoons five times a week, but im not seeing really any signs of coraline just mostly dark algae on the rocks. Any suggestions with cemicals or with anything to build up the coraline Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Getting alk up to 4 meq/L worked for me. What is yours at?

4. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

What color is the dark algae on the rocks? It could be a nice deep purple coraline.

5. live rock

live rock Plankton

sorry I got sick and tired of reading this and thought I might as well pool in!
    ;)
    I'd like to know more on this please is it something that you guys do apart from the calcium and magnesium dosing - what is the right spectrum of light for the red and purple coralline algae to encrust almost all available surface - I love the look and always thought there is a secret to it that I don't know :-/

6. Rungeg

Rungeg Plankton

People will tell you a few different things. This is worked for me, and only me. I actually do not like the look of coraline everywere, but I have it. Make sure your calcium is around400, your magnesium is 1300, and jsut add a Little Iodine, not much. Should explode in no time. Some say it does not like bright light, but mine doesnt seem to mind

2 people like this.
  7. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

Good water quality along with correct chemical parameters and a chunk of rock that has Coraline on it is a place to start

8. Click Here!

9. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Yep, once you add a piece of rock with coralline algae on it and your water parameters are right it will spread like wild fire and you will be bitching when it starts growing on the front glass.
    Funkify, you might want to ease up on the iodine, you can overdose your tank and cause problems.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

High level of calcium, strong lighting and strong water current are the key to corraline algae in my 75gal. reef. Also if you have some on a piece of live rock, use a product called "Purple Up"! You won't be dissapointed!!!

11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

In my opinion the best way to get coraline algae is to wait :)...once the tank matures and all ur levels are good it will shoot all over the rock...for my tank...at about the one year mark i didnt have anything...but a little...then all of a sudden it was everywhere :)

12. live rock

live rock Plankton

I understand this but, we here in India have to see our reef set-ups without corals as there is a ban on collection, import, trade and possession of most of the exotic soft and hard corals - the only option we have is some mushrooms, anemones and of-course corraline:(

reefer, I would surely like to know more on the product 'purple-up' please oblige me by providing details I definately have a lot of cultures on the LRs in my tank but, I noticed one thing that the red and purple coralline growth is more in low light zones and the highlighted zones are not encrusted with the desirable calcerous algae - I don't understand why:confused: