Trying again after 2002 Ice Storm in NC killed my tank. Refresh my memory :-)

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by hppd432, Jul 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hppd432

hppd432 Astrea Snail

Ok, it has been awhile since I have been in the reef world. I lost my two reef tanks to a bad ice storm in NC 6 years ago. Got the itch again and wanted to start off small with a 28g Nano-Cube after doing a lot of research. Purchased it last night with 25lbs cured live rock, 40lbs Araga live Figi Pink (only used 20 ) Purchased premixed RO water and came home to get started. Oops I also purchased the new stand which is nice but a pain in the - - - - to put together. Got the stand together after going online and getting decent instructions. Set up the tank and realized the ballast was missing. It was too late to go back to the fish store so I left the live rock in it's packaging and went to bed pissed.
    Woke up this morning went to work waited for the LFS to open then called them and heard oops were sorry we forgot to pack it with your stuff. Anyway got it came home at lunch and went to work. Hooked up ballast, pumps, etc. Took ceramic rings out of back and started with the water. Then added the liverock then the Araga Live sand and realized I only need one bag. Tank is clearing up quickly and looks pretty good.

My question was for it to cycle what should I do? I know to move slow and I am but I have read that my tank might not cycle at all if the live rock was already cured.

Getting ready to order, heater and test kits also probably a refractor. I have no ideal why I brought that plastic hydrometer ( maybe I will take it back since I didn't open it ) Probably going to add at leat one small pump near bottom of tank. Love the wave maker and lights. I know I will probably deal with a heat issue later but I have a plan for that. Any ideas about the cycling and what else I might need. First time ever with a Nano tank. Thanks for input.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I also used precured lr and my cycle was relatively short, 3-4 weeks. I never saw any ammonia but did see nitrites peek at about 1 ppm. I would just wait a few weeks, then test the water to see where you're at, if parameters are good, then go for it.

4. hppd432

hppd432 Astrea Snail

Thanks,

Thanks for the input! How do like the rock work?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  5. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

I bought my refractometer and electronic pH meter from Gain Express on eBay for $55 delivered.

Salinity Refractometer + digital pH Meter Aquarium ATC - eBay (item 250275271125 end time Aug-02-08 06:42:06 PDT)

I bought my Reef and other test kits on there as well and saved a buttload of cash.

I live in S. Florida so live bait shops are everywhere. I bought 6 Live bait shrimp and put them in the tank to move the cycle along. They did a great job, so for their reward I fed them to each other until the last one was murdered.:devil1:

Very sad. Very, very sad.;D

1 person likes this.
  6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Very pretty tank!!!

You are off to a very good start.

All new LR is going to need some cycling...some just longer then others...

Small piece of shrimp in tank can help get things going...

With really good rock, have seen tanks safe to put fish in after a week or so...

Good luck!

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I think the rock work looks good. My only concern is that is it stable? Looks like it may not be that stable. You don't want a turbo or other animal bulldozing the rock work and crushing corals and inverts

8. Click Here!

9. hppd432

hppd432 Astrea Snail

I put the rock in first and really checked its stability before adding sand around same.

I set the rock up so I could get a small mag cleaner around same. I then moved my had around everything as if I was sifting sand or cleaning glass. Everything seemed very sturdy.

Thanks for the info.

10. hppd432

hppd432 Astrea Snail

Todays Pic

Water cleared up real clear. Now waiting on cycle, patiently. I am now going to concentrate on equipment to make life easier down the road. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. hppd432

hppd432 Astrea Snail

Thanks. and very funny about the shrimp!

12. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Nice! welcome to 3Reef, and your new tank looks very good!