Trumpet Coral Not "Puffy" & Galaxy Trouble

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by UnderTheSea, Mar 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. UnderTheSea

UnderTheSea Feather Duster

Hi guys, I purchased a frag of Trumpet Coral about a week ago from my LFS. At the LFS the coral was under MH, and in my tank it's under MH. However, my Trumpet doesn't look as "puffy" as it was in the fish store's tank. Also, my Galaxy seems a bit upset or stressed... any ideas? :confused:

Here's a couple pictures. Granted this is under actinics only, this is basically what they look like when all my lights are on.

All of my soft corals are out, but my LPS doesn't look healthy. Thanks for any help.

*Excuse the picture quality :-/

Parameters
    Salinity - 1.024
    Ph - 8.2
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrate - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Phosphate - 0.25
    Calcium - 480
    dKH - 12

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

probably still acclimating, what salinity does you LFS have?

4. UnderTheSea

Ok thanks, I'll see what happens within the next week. I don't know my LFS salinity.

5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Just curious, how did you acclimate? Plus your alk is kinda high IMO.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

You need to retest your phosphates with a different kit/tester. If that number is accurate, it's way too high for stony corals. It should be 0.03 or lower.

Also, what is your Mag level? You'll need to keep that in check for hard corals, as well.

7. zoazack911

zoazack911 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

it could still be acclimating. ANY difference in water parameters can cause corals to get cranky for a while. I agree that your dKH (although still in the safe zone) is a little high and at the upper end of the safe dKH. Phosphate is high too...check for a source of phosphate such as your top off water or saltwater mix water. Do you use Tap water or ro/di. Sometimes stonies especially euphyllias will shrink when they get light for too long of a period. how long is your photo period?

8. Click Here!

9. UnderTheSea

My light is on from 11am - 8pm ... And unfortunately I am using tap water :/ . However, I know it's tap water but the water we have is quite clean where I live. Either way the trumpet is starting to come out because I can see bubble like parts on it moving. I'm curious to see if it's tentacles extend at night. We will see, but I'm still concerned about the galaxy. Thanks for the reply.

10. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

I just bought a galaxy frag today. Subscribed. =]