Trumpet coral frag

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Phayes, Apr 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Just need some ideas about a recent trumpet coral frag I bought from my LFS for 5 dollars. It was in a tank that he was about to get rid of and install a new tank (Tank was getting very very old, and had developed an unstoppable coarse brush like algae). However on this trumpet frag, I have noticed roughly 5-6 baby-like aiptapsia residing on the base of it. So for now, I have left it sitting on a temporary surface (plastic lid) on my sand until I figure out a way to get rid of the baby aiptasia without damaging the trumpet coral. Any ideas anybody?

2. Click Here!

3. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

peppermint shrimP!!!! ahha, um i have always either used balmost boiling hot water, or lemon juice and squirt it where they are, but idk about the trumpet (sP?) and how it will react to it, but i would say peppermint shrimp for sure!

1 person likes this.
  4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

peppermint shrimp eat aptasia. they cost about $5 each, so get 1 peppermint shrimp for every 20 gallons or so, as long as you don't have a hungry hawkfish that will eat them.

1 person likes this.
  5. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

i tried boiling water and it made no difference. The thing that really wored for me and instantly was joe's juice

6. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

they could also be hydroids. look kinda like baby aptasia but brown. just saying cause i found some hydroids on my new trumpet. and they dont seem to spread or anything and they just break off.

7. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

I was hoping I would be able to do something to the frag without actually injecting joe's juice or lemon or boiling water (or introducing a new invert that will only have somethign to eat for a day or two). I was hoping someone would have an idea on how to remove the aiptapsia from the bottom part of the frag without affecting the trumpet coral. If worse comes to worse I can scrap the entire coral. Would only be a 5 dollar loss, but was hoping that I could do somethign to keep it.
    And it may be hydroids as well, not entirely sure. Just dont want to take m chances :-/

8. Click Here!

9. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

There are no other options, as manually removing the aiptasia wont work

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Peppermint shrimp will eat fish food so once they're done with the aiptasia (assuming that's what you have), you don't have to worry about them going hungry :)

11. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Can you just cut the trumpet from main base and re-attach to a small piece of LR? It's a very easy coral to frag. Pair of bonecutters (or, something similar) and just cut at desired area.

12. 72RunningBlue

72RunningBlue Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I would recommend using a needle and inject it with purple up. If you miss it wont hurt the tank and it will kill the aiptasia. Thats the way I do it, I hope it helps.