Trouble with Zoas

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by mdbostwick, Dec 22, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

So some of my zoas aren't doing so well. Most of them are only about 6 weeks in my tank and I have lost a few polyps.

They are all on the same rock sitting about an inch off the sand in my 55g. The polyps that are open look completely normal but some are closed all the time and look like they could be shrinking the same way the ones that disappeared looked.

I have had issue after issue with my tank of recent and lost 2 sps frags but nothing else has seemed to suffered other than the zoas which weren't thriving so much before the issues.

The recent issues are currently my return pump is down so i am relying on flow by my powerheads alone. before that I had to replace my RODI filters, membrane, resin so the water level didn't really stay constant for a bit, so everything that goes along with that. The zoa issues predate these problems though, i just put it on here before it was asked.

I am at work so i don't have a current picture but I will take an post an old picture and a new one as soon as i get a chance so you can see what the difference is, but in the meantime I will take any advice/recommendations/questions/criticisms to help get a grasp on what i can do to not lose anymore polyps. I hope to add to the collection sooner rather than later but will not add anything until I find out what the problem is.

Thanks in advance

2. Click Here!

3. APC

APC Gigas Clam

You might be okay - or you might not be. Helpful info I know :) In my experience Zoa's can be a little picky. I have a lot of zoa's in my tank - probably 20 different colonies. Some are darn near bullet proof. it does not matter what happens in the tank it seems, they always stay open and look awesome. Others - retract at the slightest change in temperature, salinity, ALK....and slowly reopen as conditions return back to normal (I am talking small changes here - they are really sensitive). My guess is the ones that are closed up are pissed about the change in flow in the tank - and the possible water chemistry changes related to your RO/DI issues. Once everything comes back to normal - hopefully they will reopen and look great. If you are losing them - you will literally see them disappear....they close up, shrink up, and pretty much "Poof" they are gone overnight. On a bright note though - I have seen a few shrink down to almost nothing...then pop up a week or two later...and then months later are a nice full colony again. Basically I realize I didn't give you any advice here...sorry...just my observations in my own tank. Good luck!

mdbostwick and chris adams like this.
  4. mdbostwick

Of course they are all closed up today.
    Before
    20141016_181222.jpg
    so the ones you can see the color inside the polyp are just closed because the blenny was eating algae near them, which i have never seen him near that rock before. The little rock just right of center had a nice little polyp on it but it is gone completely. Lost some on the green with yellow right above that one and a couple from some other frags. There is a wp40 above it but positioned over this rock, so maybe too much flow?
    20141223_123702.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  5. mdbostwick

A little better with them opening.
    20141223_124826.jpg
    And this one so you can see how close the PH is.
    20141223_124840.jpg

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Did you dip them before putting them in your tank? I didn't notice any, but any chance you have some Zoa Eating Nudibranches? Take a close look. Otherwise, it very well could be fluctuations in your tank. Does your Blenny bug them at all? Either by resting on or near them, or even nipping at them?

DSC reef likes this.
  7. mdbostwick

They were dipped twice before they hit my tank. I have only ever seen pods on that rock and have never seen any of the bite marks they leave. Today was the first time i have ever seen the blenny near that rock and he was only laying on it but not touching any of the polyps at all. Do you think pump above it could be a problem?

8. Click Here!

9. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I suppose it s possible that they don't like the flow, although i don't think it would be excessive with that PH. What lights are you running? I would think that the issue is acclimation and stability. My zoas are nearly bullet proof also but do react quickly to things they don't like.

10. mdbostwick

There has been no quick reaction. It has kinda been a slow process, almost like they don't like where they are. I have 4 t5s which i must admit the bulbs are a little on the older side 8 months. they were around 6months old when i got the frags.