Trouble with my LPS corals

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by cody3819, Nov 29, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

So I'm having trouble with my LPS corals. My frogspawn has had 3 polyps bail, my pink on pink hammer is not happy and my candy canes are not full. I'm new to the hobby. Now I believe my frogspawn the polyps bailed due to waterflow, I removed 10 lbs of rock and the water flow was to strong. My hammer has been getting picked on by my peppermint shrimp but my trumpets? Not sure what's up with them. But all in all my 3 LPS coral are not happy.

Nitrate 10ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Ammonia 0ppm
    PH 8.2
    Calcium 480
    Alkalinity 9.5 dkh

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Nitrates at 10 are kinda high for coral IMO.

Peppermints as you know will go after LPS, including your candy cane/trumpet coral. I would remove them and see if conditions improve.

4. cody3819

Thanks, I have been feeding it. I may remove it if I don't see it getting better. They are just very deflated and my hammer has been staying inside for a couple days. Now I also just started dosing alkalinity, I was having a calcium issue from the salt I was using. But as you know from another post this may be resolved. Or so I hope.

5. granocompany

granocompany Astrea Snail

all shrimps or crabs will allways irritate any polyps, I don't think will keep them with corals again

cody3819 likes this.
  6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would not give a second thought to that nitrate level. Please provide SG, flow, lighting......and a close image of a coral affected.

How are you maintaining the values for Ca and ALk, do you have a Mag level. What test kits are you using?

April Hope and DSC reef like this.
  7. cody3819

I'm using api test kit, 1.024sg, stock biocube light but getting ai prime very soon. Getting mag test kit today. And the nitrates I'm doing a water change today as well but I'm running cheato

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

How old are the bulbs??

DSC reef likes this.
  10. cody3819

Oh and water flow was a stock return pump but with the elbow removed, so no restrictions. And a Rio 10.

11. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Alkalinity is pivotal for LPS corals. If you just started that, I wouldn't change any more variables until you see how they adjust to it. Change more than one at a time and you'll never know what fixed it.

DSC reef likes this.
  12. cody3819

The bulbs are 7 months old. But I'm getting rid of the hood within a month, going ai prime.