Trouble Feeding Wolf eel

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by vetteman, Mar 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vetteman

vetteman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Well i have had my eel for 2 months now and she has laid eggs twice. These were the only times she wouldn't eat. Every other time she is waiting on me in the mornings and has her head 1/2 inch out of water waiting for the silverside to touch the water. The last 3 days, she does the same thing, but hits the silverside.. swims to bottom. Then spits it out. Swallows again, spits out. Then comes back to the top waiting for another. Acts as if the silverside doesn't taste good or something. The bag i have of silversides had only 1/5 left. So i got a new bag thinking from all the thawing and freezing everyday that the silversides lost their taste (picky eater). So I fed him a new silverside and he didn't eat the new one. just spit it out again. Don't think he's sick because he's just as active as he has been since I got him. Any other meal she might prefer? i tried krill tonight and she wouldn't even try it. Any suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. kgross

kgross Skunk Shrimp

I would suggest trying some fresh shrimp from the grocery store.

Kim

1 person likes this.
  4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

All of the few I have kept loved shrimp. I have also seen them do the behavior you are describing. I never gave much thought to it being an issue. I was more ticked that they were making a bigger mess. Are you thawing the food 100%?

1 person likes this.
  5. vetteman

will try that. And yes i am thawing the ziplock their in to pull a a couple out. Then let sit in hot water in a tiny cup for about 1 min. Its been fine for 2 months. I'm sure when she starves herself too much she'll eat anything. I'll try the shrimp thing tomorrow. Thanks

6. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Give him a small urchin and make him happy....I have a documentary on them and didnt know they anything but urchins. I have never saw one at any lfs...good luck

7. vetteman

Case solved!!! She won't give the small krill i got at the LFS the time of day. But after getting some shrimp from walmart, she tore them up! The shrimp isn't as bad a mess as the silversides! Thanks!

8. Click Here!

9. kgross

kgross Skunk Shrimp

Glad to help.

I would still suggest trying other foods as well to try and keep the diet as varied as possible.

Kim

10. vetteman

What else would you suggest?

11. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I think you are mistaking this specimen with the actual eel. We are talking about the "green wolf eel". AKA The green wolf blenny that is actually a dottyback. It is the eel/fish looking thing on this page here.
    green wolf eel - Google Image Search

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Most eels go for squid, shrimp, white fish, clam, mussles.