Trouble bringing calc down

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by kwmjones, Dec 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kwmjones

kwmjones Flamingo Tongue

Hey guys, I've been struggling to bring my calc down - long story short, I started dosing BRS 2 part towards the beginning, then stopped dosing calc and have only been dosing alk daily as its the only one that moves. My calc has been around 520 (I was a little trigger happy upfront!) or a little higher for over a month now, alk sits around 9-10, tested mag today and came out at 1350 so I'm going to bring that up a bit over the next couple of days. I do weekly 10% water changes and use reef crystals for my salt, would the calc be coming from there?

Any help would be awesome, a large portion of my coralline algae starting bleaching on one of my rocks this week, don't know if this is due to the high calc or light or what. My frags all look healthy, seeing growth out of a good portion of them and solid PE.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Personally, I wouldn't mess with it, but that's just me. I would also stop dosing the alk. for now. An alk. level of 9-10 is fine and your mag level is in good shape. A calc. level of 520 is a little high, but nothing I would worry about. The calcium will come down on its own as its consumed.

How big is your tank and what/how many corals do you have?

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If the corals are not stressed let it come down on its own, as stated above.

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I have never found high Calc to hurt anything. Let it fall naturally.

6. kwmjones

kwmjones Flamingo Tongue

It's a 30L, have probably 30 or so frags, mainly acros with a few montis - just didn't know if the coralline bleaching was a bad sign or not - also, I dose about 15ml of brs two part for the alk daily and that keeps the alk around 9-10, if I stop then it would most likely fall, correct?

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

only stop dosing the cal not the alk

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I would definitely calculate how much alk. your tank consumes on a daily basis, if you haven't already, just to make sure you're not getting a net gain in alk. every day you dose. My 20 long, with about 15-20 pieces of coral frags, doesn't consume enough alk. (or clac/mag.)for me to dose daily. For me, water changes are enough.

10. kwmjones

kwmjones Flamingo Tongue

I stopped dosing calc over two months ago, hence the concern why it hasn't fallen after that period after weekly wc's - from what I've read, higher calc isn't the worst thing, just curious why it won't come down

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Have you verified your test results with another testing device (LFS)? If not, I would do so just to make sure your device is testing accurately. Like I said, my tank doesn't consume very much of the 3 parameters in discussion, so I never dose/need to dose. That could be the case here too.

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

There's also a chance that you bought a bag of salt with higher than usual calc. Have you tested it?