tropical flakes

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by bjc541, Apr 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bjc541

bjc541 Fire Shrimp

I tried to feed my fish these and they ate it up real good. Is this a problem? It is tetra brand btw

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

They are kinda high in phosphates and there is better stuff out there, but i have been know to feed alot of flakes too ;-). You might want to get some selcon and soak them in tankwater + selcon for a few minutes which would make them more nutritious.

4. bjc541

bjc541 Fire Shrimp

I was just looking through a old stand i had. Found sone of those tropical flakes, betta flakes, omega one seeweed, omega one pellets wirh garlic, i have rods food and that instant ocean gel stuff. I know i need to get some plain ole mysis. But the fish love the rods

5. ingtar_shinowa

6. bjc541

bjc541 Fire Shrimp

What doea that mean??

7. ingtar_shinowa

Having variety in your food is a good thing.

8. Click Here!

9. bjc541

bjc541 Fire Shrimp

Yeah but if fresh water food is a problem i will stop

10. VooDoo

VooDoo Fire Shrimp

The main problem with flake is that it's dirty. By that I mean it adds to the bio load of the tank...In my QT tank I feed flakes and just from the TINY amount of food they are given, the bottom of the tank is filthy...I prefer a homemade mix of frozens :)

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I'm not sure I would use it as a staple of their diet. The fact that the picture of it that I found on the front only shows freshwater fish isn't good. The fact that their own web page doesn't show any of the ingredients, what % of ash it contains nor % of proteins. That leads me to believe they are using yeast as opposed to fish meal as a filler. However, even if this had been a quality marine fish food, I would say not to use it. The vitamins that are added to fish pellet and flake fish food are HIGHLY UNSTABLE and start breaking down the very first time you open it. If the container is more than 3 months old and it hadn't been kept in the freezer (even though it's not a frozen food), it provides nothing but empty calories (i.e. no nutrition) to your fish.

I go into more detail regarding foods, vitamins, HUFA's, proper food storage, etc. here. http://www.3reef.com/forums/fish-food/proper-feeding-101-a-63556.html