Triops! My friend is giving me some :)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by Boywithafishtan, Dec 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

Hey guys,

So my friend loves to breed Triops, and has done it for some time now. He is just setting up a new hatch, they will probably hatch within the next couple of days. He will see he can grow them up to a decent size, and then he is thinking of giving 2 - 3 triops to me, for free! He thought it could be nice to see me make some videos on them. So i'm really excited about this guys, and i'm gonna try to set up a tank for them for christmas. I'm probably gonna get some myself, to see if i can get my hands on some of those rare males, so that i can actually breed them. Its really sad though, because i cant put them into my guppy planted tank, not because it will eat the guppies, but they'll eat ANYTHING that can fit into their mouths (plants included). So, gotta get a bare tank with alot of rocks. How sad... And boring :( But hey! Triops are awesome, look at these guys:

(Picture taken from mytriops.com):
    [​IMG]

By the way guys, do you guys see the relations between these and horseshoe crabs? They look pretty identical :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

What the heck is that? Is it a freshwater creature?

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Seems the Dutch have gotten their hands on an alien and have proceeded with breeding. lol

Looks cool, I've never seen or heard of one before, are they native to Denmark?

5. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

IIRC they are an ancient (Cretaceous Period) species of invertebrate, possibly related to some modern species like Horseshoe crabs.

6. Boywithafishtan

Haha yeah. Its a freshwater creature :) Its one of the oldest invertebrates still living today on our planet. They're an ancient species, and can actually be found some places natively, actually in my country too, but its rare. They're really unique! They are used to live in small water holes, that often dry up at some point, but they have developped a way, to actually dry up their eggs for up to 10 - 15 years! ITS AWESOME :D

7. Boywithafishtan

Haha yeah, wouldnt make me wonder if the dutch have been breeding them :D

- Yes, you can find them everywhere in the world, including Denmark, but its very rare. They're mostly in captivity at the moment, but i've heard about people actually seeing them in small ponds over here :) I dont believe they're alot in America, but are more native to Europe and Asia. However, you're lucky if you will see them. As said, its an ancient creature, and its not in its natural form actually. Scientists bred them from ancient genes. Back then, for a million years ago, they were ALOT bigger, they were about the size of a bathtub! But now, they dont get bigger than 2 inches or so, but they are fantastic. They dont live very long either, because of the way they breed in the nature, which is spreading from different water holes before they dry up. But, they are cool anyway, and if i can get some rare males, i will see if i can breed them. Its worth the experiment! :)

8. Click Here!

9. Boywithafishtan

Yes, i do think it is related to the horseshoe crab. Although, not alot has been found about this species yet, but... It should be more closely related to other crabs actually. They look very similar to horseshoe crabs though. Very interesting :)

10. Boywithafishtan

Although Va Reef, you just got a great idea! Breeding native danish invertebrates. Look at these guys, they are awesome, they can be found in every lake or pond in Denmark (They are native to Europe and Asia), they are called Great Diving Beetles (Picture taken from wikipedia): [​IMG]

11. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

I think i just found my next project ;)

12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

My friend and I raised these as kids! Just one of those "hatch them at home" kits from Hobby Lobby, but they are seriously awesome critters. I didn't know people actually bred them as a hobby.

Keep them well fed, or they'll eat each other...just FYI. And holding them feels really, really weird. I think that's all I learned from them :D