Trigger Fish?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Nightstick, Sep 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

Has anyone successfully had a trigger fish (mine is a halfmoon) that didn't eat coral in their reef tank? My has taken a liking to conch and other inverts. I don't mind that he eats them, they are cheap and easy to replace but my corals are not!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

There's a few that are supposedly more reef safe than others. The Blue throat, Sargassam, crosshatch, and pink tail seem to have some success stories in large reef tanks. I wouldn't keep any of them in anything less than a 6' tank tho.

~Will.

4. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

Triggers

Have had several, but favorites by far are the BlueJaw Triggers. Super cool fish!!! Not aggressive like the rap they've been given.;)

5. jturnbull

jturnbull Purple Spiny Lobster

What kind of trigger is that nightstick?

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Looks to be a half moon according to night stick.

Is that pic from your tank?? If so it really looks like it is straight out of the ocean.

The triggers that Iwill said are the ones that are generally more reef safe than the rest of the triggers.

Typically, triggers are not reef safe because they eat inverts like I eat Reese's Peanut Butter cups. AFAIK, the triggers are not big coral eaters like a parrot fish or most butterflies are.

7. Nightstick

Its actually a google pic, but it looks similar. I guess its not a big deal if he eats my inverts is it? He has been picking at them like skittles tho!

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

It will just get expensive, that is all. If you don't keep up on the clean up crew, the tank might not be so clean though.....

10. Nightstick

Here he is! Woody!

Here he is, I just hope he doesn't knock over any of my rock with all that pecking he does. He reminds me of a woodpecker!

Attached Files:

11. tangopa

tangopa Bristle Worm

They have several triggers in a tank that's loaded with all kinds of coral at Manhattan Aquariums. Big tank though...it's a huge cylindrical tank, but those triggers are leaving the coral alone at least, not sure what species they are.

You can see the tank in pic 1 on the slideshow here: (coolest LFS ever, btw)

Google Image Result for http://manhattanaquariums.com/images/imgRetailTopA.jpg

12. tangopa

tangopa Bristle Worm

Sorry, you need to click on "photo gallery" from the link I posted above to get to the slideshow.