Tridacnid clam

Discussion in 'Clams' started by evojoe67, Feb 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. evojoe67

evojoe67 Aiptasia Anemone

I'm thinking of adding this as my first clam. I read that it is a filter feeder, and does better in well stocked tanks with a good # of fish(which mine is). I also read that they absorb ammonia given off by the fish.
    This clam seems to not only offer a beautiful addition to a tank but also seems that it will help with water quality.
    Your thoughts on placement? Sandbed would be best?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Tradacnid clam describes several different species of clam. What particular clam are you looking at (maxima, crocea, squamosa, deresa)?

4. evojoe67

Oh, see thats why i ask you guys. I'm clam illiterate! Obviously i would like the most colorful speciman, but other then that i'm open to suggestions.

Crocea looks pretty nice. I'd prefer one that doesn't get too HUGH.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Have a read here :)

http://www.3reef.com/forums/clams/intro-giant-clams-37258.html

I would not recommend you get a gigas because they get HUGE but other than that, as long as you have strong enough lighting, you should be able to keep whatever clam your heart desires...just make sure that whichever one you buy is larger than 3" or its survival rate will be dismal at best.

6. evojoe67

Thanks so much for the info Amcarrig. I really appreciate it.
    One quick question, should i be worried about fish compatability? Oops, thought of another: with the size you recomended, about how much $ are they? Want to make sure i'm paying a fair price. Thanks again.

7. evojoe67

Awesome read! Answered most of my questions. I've got a PinkTail Trigger so i don't think he'll be a problem. Coral beauty?

8. Click Here!

9. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

any dwarf angel poses a threat to nip at corals/clam mantels.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yes, you should definitely avoid clam eating fish :D Some wrasses and angels are known to pick at the mantles so definitely do your research before adding any new fish once you get a clam. Check out the sponsor forums here on 3Reef and other online livestock vendors to get a general idea of how much you can expect to pay for a clam.

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Crocea are nice because they only get about 6", but they require the most light and very good water conditions, Maximas get a little bite bigger, dereasa and squasmo get much bigger.

12. BorntoReef

BorntoReef Fire Worm

i thought this would be a good place to throw up this question...

how do you aclimate a giant clam? if i bought a 1.5" clam, how long would it take for me to have to move it out of my nano? and, is it worth it?