Tridacna Squamosa question

Discussion in 'Clams' started by pez blanco, Jul 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pez blanco

pez blanco Fire Worm

I just bought a 1.5" Squamosa yesterday and trying to find him a happy place in my 90 gal corner bow front. Lighting: Coralife Aqua Light PC, 2X65 W 10,000K CF and 2 X 65 w actinics. Plus clamp on Coralife AqualightPro MH 1 X 150W, 10,000K. Should I place him higher up closer to the MH and on the LR or in the sand bed. Only concern is that these tanks are deep, 2 feet or more, so don't think the MH can reach him down there. Any recommendations. Does this clam do well on a hard surface?

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

they are the hardier clams, more tolerant to lower light then others...tend to be a little deeper found. They are not really rock boring so you can place them on the sand and will do fine
    Clams under 2 inches though need supplement with live phyto as well as light. They are not able to convert the light as well as the larger clams so they need a little extra help
    post pictures............mandatory with new clam!

4. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

Mine grew to 18" in about 7 or 8 years and I had to sell it because of it's size.
    It was only under 6 fourty watt normal output fluorescent lamps, so don't worry about how close to the metal halide.
    I think you have to be more concerned about how long before you have to get a tank to accommodate the clam once it grows a few years.
    If I recall, the footprint of the 90g corner tank is not all that large.

5. pez blanco

pez blanco Fire Worm

Ok thanks for the info so far. I just moved him to the highest part on top of some LR. He now sits about 12" or so directly below the MH. Will that be too extreme for this species or will this be fine still?

Thanks....

I will post pictures shortly.

6. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

Do you know what kind of lighting it was under when you purchased it, and how far away from the lighting?
    You don't want to start it out with much more intensity but rather increase it gradually, if your lighting is stronger.

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Even at 1.5" it does not need any special feeding of phyto. All clams that are the size we get them in the trade of 1.5" and up are fully photosynthetic at that point.

Squammies like to be on the sand. They are not rock borers, and don't need a lot of light. You have more than enough light in that tank for a squamaosa or derasa.