Tridacna Deresa! (PICTURES!)

Discussion in 'Clams' started by JJL, Apr 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

I picked up a new deresa clam today, and I absolutely love it! The color is awesome! It looks very happy and it is just chillin' now ;)
    Here are some pictures of it! Comments are welcomed
    One question though: Do you think it is too close to the frogspawn?
    Thanks!
    JJL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Side View!

[​IMG]

;) JJL

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Congrats! Looks pretty :D

4. BlueWaters10

BlueWaters10 Skunk Shrimp

Nice one!! What kind of lights are you running?

5. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Thanks RedGambit!

6. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

I have an RSM 130d
    They are more or less T5HO lights
    Visit this thread for more details http://www.3reef.com/forums/clams/clam-rsm-130d-108127-3.html
    :) It is confusing
    I have seen many Deresas kept healthy under this lighting so I am confident it will serve the clam well :)
    JJL

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Very nice, looks healthy, congrats.

8. Click Here!

9. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

very nice, they are like the bullet proof clams of the clam world, they make great water purifiers too :)

10. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

congrats, he should darken a little bit over time as he grows, the wider his mantel is the happier he is. keep an eye out for critter problems.

best of luck, I know you'll do fine

11. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Nice looking clam, but fair warming. They get very big in short amount of time. I was going to get one & my LFS told me not to get one (and yes he was selling it). My 90gal is too small for it. He told me that one of his customer's had one in a 300gal & the clam was the size of a football. When it closed, it created waves at the top of the tank.

Text below, I copied this from Saltwater Aquarium Clams for Marine Reef Aquariums: Derasa Clam, Tiger Striped - Aquacultured

In the home aquarium, Derasa Clams require moderate to intense lighting to thrive as they contain the symbiotic algae called zooxanthellae, and receive the majority of their nutrition from the light through photosynthesis. Smaller T. derasa that are 2" or less in size are much more sensitive to very intense lighting as their membrane is much thinner than larger specimens.

For this reason care should be taken to properly photo-adapt them to the existing reef aquarium lighting in a similar manner to newly introduced stony and soft corals. When adapting a new Derasa Clam to very intense lighting, it is ideal to set them on a small rock or in a plastic dish with coarse substrate at the bottom of the aquarium. Over time, the clam can then be slowly moved up higher in the aquarium. When maintained in the proper environment, smaller Derasa Clams can double or triple their size in less than a year.

Tridacna clams are also filter feeders and constantly filter the water for small particulates. Derasa Clams larger than 2" do not require supplemental feedings, but smaller T. derasa that are less than 2" should be fed a phytoplankton or greenwater supplement several times per week if maintained in a nutrient poor reef aquarium.

Tridacna derasa are the hardiest and most adaptable of all the Tridacna spp., and require moderate to intense lighting and good water flow in the home aquarium. Proper water chemistry is very important, and they will thrive when calcium levels of 380- 450 mg/L, alkalinity level of 8-11 dKH, and magnesium level of 1280-1350 ppm are maintained.

1 person likes this.
  12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

+1. I think that pretty much covers it.